• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book recommendations (1 Viewer)

Hi Nature__lover,

On the bird song CD's are they introduced?
Does it say for instance Robin, then the song/call of a Robin plays? etc,etc

no you have to go through the book with it on, checking the number- if you see what I mean.
very good book as it has a great bird watching introduction with some tips, and lots of information on each bird so you can use it as a field guide too. the illustrations are beautiful too.

Squidge,

checked and it is the same copy only it is now hardback, and now with an introduction for each different group of birds. Probably the same as you have found in your searches.

Thanks, I was thinking there was no softcover as every search as you said turned up a hardcover. Probably get it anyhow as I'm sure its a lot lighter than the Collins. Thanks Ger.

I've been offered the BTO guide to Britain and Europe, is it worth getting? I suppose as it's by the BTO it should be a good book but i would appreciate your views.

I've been offered the BTO guide to Britain and Europe, is it worth getting? I suppose as it's by the BTO it should be a good book but i would appreciate your views.

Yes, I love the AA/BTO book. Great photos as well as artwork and Paul Sterry really knows his stuff... it's a nice size too. I'm surprised more people don't rave about it. The distribution maps are a bit small but this seems a problem with many books I've glanced at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297953172&sr=1-1-spell

I bought this BTO-endorsed book for my mum as it cover more than just birds and she won't ever take it out of the house. It's a hardback but you should be able to get it heavily reduced. I think I paid less than £10 in a gardening centre - bargain!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Bird...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297953357&sr=1-1

Yes, I love the AA/BTO book. Great photos as well as artwork and Paul Sterry really knows his stuff... it's a nice size too. I'm surprised more people don't rave about it. The distribution maps are a bit small but this seems a problem with many books I've glanced at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297953172&sr=1-1-spell

I bought this BTO-endorsed book for my mum as it cover more than just birds and she won't ever take it out of the house. It's a hardback but you should be able to get it heavily reduced. I think I paid less than £10 in a gardening centre - bargain!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Bird...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297953357&sr=1-1

thanks Cleme, got the book today for £7.99 and you are right its a very good book, now for a pocket size book...........

now for a pocket size book...........

Hi Mark,

The New BIRDWATCHER'S POCKET GUIDE to Britain and Europe (Peter Hayman & Rob Hume )

Taken from back cover:

- Includes every bird that breeds in or regularly visits Europe.

- All 430 species are illustrated with meticulous colour detail, in flight and at rest.

- Up to 12 full-colour illustrations of each species for identification.

- Symbols show at a glance essential identification features and habitat.

- Colour coding groups of birds by family for quick reference.

Cost £9.99 Small and easily fits in a pocket.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Macmillan Guide

Come on Jane the Macmillan's is like rocking horse droppings, very very rare.

Hi Mark,

The New BIRDWATCHER'S POCKET GUIDE to Britain and Europe (Peter Hayman & Rob Hume )

Knightly, Madge and Nurney's 'Pocket guide to the birds of Britain and North West Europe' is much better than Hayman and Hume.
find it HERE

Hi Mark,

Taken from back cover:

- Includes every bird that breeds in or regularly visits Europe.

- All 430 species are illustrated with meticulous colour detail, in flight and at rest.

- Up to 12 full-colour illustrations of each species for identification.

- Symbols show at a glance essential identification features and habitat.

- Colour coding groups of birds by family for quick reference.

Cost £9.99 Small and easily fits in a pocket.
thanks friend, it sounds just the job for me, i'll certainly purchase that. just seen the above, now im confused :)

Last edited:
The birdlife of britain by hayman and burton is a good fairly large hardback with great illustrations of wings patterns etc,.Not a pocket guide but a good book for Home reference.Published in the late 70's with numerous later editions with a hovering kingfisher on the book cover.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back