• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pennington Flash (1 Viewer)

gary jb

anyone please have any information on pennington flash.i live near to the east lancs road.it would be a straight run for me(about 20 mins).birds i may see,best time and best spot.

thanks Gary.........

Gary
Teal Hide gives you Little ringed plover + 3 chicks, little grebe, C terns, pochard, teal, ruddy , mallard, occasional snipe, lapwings, occasional kingfisher + kestrel.

The other main hide (fogot the name) give waders inc redshank, oystercatcher, green sandpiper, occasional little gull, C terns, occasional A tern

Feeding station is good in winter but you still get R bunting, Bullfinch, G S w/pecker, occasional sparrowhawk, waterrail (winter), coal tit, willow (EDIT - NO MARSH TIT) tit etc

There are a couple of other hides and you can wander the far side from the carpark.

Generally its always worth a visit.

Last edited:
This was my local patch after I moved to Kearsley from Bury although I still have a soft spot for Elton Reservoir. I am now a southerner so I have not been to Pennington Flash for a few years (BTW, the Kasbah in Leigh - opposite the bus station - does cracking kebabs). I have generally done well for rarities and oddities at Pennington Flash and the only notable 'miss' I had was the spotted crake. Scotsman's Flash at Wigan is also good but I always feel you have to work a little harder for the birds there.

CJW said:
An outrageous thing to say, Ian. Once a northerner, always a northerner.
PF is good for Odonata as well.

I haven't seen many odes there (maybe too windy when I went). Could you point out a any particular locations. I have seen many damselflies near the main spit hide (in the nearby pond) and the odd common darter after the hide where the long eared owls are supposed to roost in the winter. Never seen them either!

CJW said:
An outrageous thing to say, Ian. Once a northerner, always a northerner.
PF is good for Odonata as well.

LOL. I am also a Manchester United fan so I am now a cliched, stockbroker belt MU fan. LOL Despite previously living in Kearsley and being closest to Old Trafford (arguably Gigg Lane in Bury) after Bolton Wanderers moved out to Horwich.

The Leos have been noticable for there absense in the last couple of years, I've seen 5 there. At the moment a Lesser Scaup has been reported there. It can be good for Black Tern at migration times. I went to see a Whiskered Tern there a couple of years ago, I also saw my first ever Water Rail there.

How can Manchester possibly be described as 'northern', when it's so far south?

Only been down to Pennington once, to see a very wet Black-faced Bunting, and get very wet myself too . . . didn't stop to look for owt else

Michael

Dan drough said:
Gary
Teal Hide gives you Little ringed plover + 3 chicks, little grebe, C terns, pochard, teal, ruddy , mallard, occasional snipe, lapwings, occasional kingfisher + kestrel.

The other main hide (fogot the name) give waders inc redshank, oystercatcher, green sandpiper, occasional little gull, C terns, occasional A tern

Feeding station is good in winter but you still get R bunting, Bullfinch, G S w/pecker, occasional sparrowhawk, waterrail (winter), coal tit, willow (EDIT - NO MARSH TIT) tit etc

There are a couple of other hides and you can wander the far side from the carpark.

Generally its always worth a visit.

What a great place this is, I visited for the first time today and was most impressed. Easy to get to, easy to get from one hide to another and a surprising number of birds. I added 6 birds to my years list including a lesser scaup and a black necked grebe. I must admit to a lot of help in finding the scaup though, a gent who was looking for it when we arrived was still there just before we left and kindly pointed out what it had taken him the best part of two hours to find. Nice place we shall go back.

i took a trip down to pennington flash yesterday(sat)it was 6pm and i went to see the lesser scaup.as with bill,a kind man pointed it out for me.also seen 1 ruddy duck,black-necked grebe and a warbler(reddy brown crown,grey face and the rest of the body was light brown.....anyone with any ideas)it was pouring down with rain,so i only stayed for 1 hour..i am going back on wednesday..

Gary.............

gary jb said:
i took a trip down to pennington flash yesterday(sat)it was 6pm and i went to see the lesser scaup.as with bill,a kind man pointed it out for me.also seen 1 ruddy duck,black-necked grebe and a warbler(reddy brown crown,grey face and the rest of the body was light brown.....anyone with any ideas)it was pouring down with rain,so i only stayed for 1 hour..i am going back on wednesday..

Gary.............

We saw a reed warbler could it have been that?

Have just checked Pennington Flash on the map. Looks like an easy run for me from the Wirral, thanks mates, if I can get off this Computer for a couple of hours I will get there.
Sounds like a female Black-cap Warbler Gary.
Tanny

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back