• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trystan's 2015 world list (2 Viewers)

2/2/15

Kalapke

414. CAPUCHIN BABBLER
415. Helmeted guineafowl
416. Long crested eagle

Sukomona lagoon

417. Long tailed cormorant
418. Black winged stilt
419. Grey plover
420. Collared pratincole
421. Purple swamphen
422. Royal tern
423. Sandwich tern
424. Brown babbler
425. Purple glossy starling
426. Little stint
427. Curlew sandpiper
428. Marsh sandpiper
429. Intermediate egret
430. Glossy ibis
431. Kentish plover
432. Kittlitz sandplover
433. Long tailed glossy starling

This concludes the Ghana species. No doubt I'll need to go back and re-index because I've missed something or counted wrong! I haven't added any details about the species here as I will compile a trip report in the not too distant future.

8/2/15

Yorkshire bird forum meeting. Good company but unfortunately didn't do much to help the year list.

Potteric carr

434. Linnet
435. Treecreeper

10/2/15

Bradford

Maybe the last few weeks of cold weather has brought the Redpolls back to the work carpark. They have been regular the last two winters but today was my first sighting this winter. Around 10 birds with Goldfinches and Greenfinches. Will keep an eye out for Siskin over the week.

436. (Lesser) Redpoll

14/2/15

Got all the Valentine's stuff out of the way yesterday leaving me free to go for the Laughing gull on the Wirral. Managed to pick up some great birds today. Missed the snow buntings on the first attempt but fortunately hadn't gone too far and was able to go back and connect with them.

New Brighton

437. Laughing gull (1st UK sat on the favoured pontoon when I arrived just after 8am)
438. Bar tailed godwit
439. Knot

West Kirby

440. Red breasted merganser
441. Skylark

Leasowe

442. Snow bunting

Burton mere wetlands

443. Long eared owl

Orrell Water Park

This was a difficult place to get to with a chunk of the A577 blocked my satnav was impotent but once I finally managed it, the bird was easy enough to find due to the number of huge lenses pointing in it's general direction.

444. Waxwing

15/2/15

Oxenhope

No birding today but a drive over the moors picked up red grouse for the year list.

445. Red grouse

18/2/15

Arkengarthdale

Had to go to Newcastle for work today so made an early start and a slight detour along the way.

446. Raven
447. Black grouse

21/2/15

Swillington ings

448. Grey partridge
449. Red legged partridge
450. Grey wagtail
451. American wigeon

22/2/2015

Another day out to the east coast with some good species around. Disappointed not to catch up with the White fronted geese at Flamborough which seem to have gone awol for the day. Greenland ssp would be new for me.

Flamborough

452. Razorbill
453. Guillemot
454. Red throated diver
455. Common scoter
456. Velvet scoter
457. Woodcock
458. Eider
459. Rock pipit

The scoters were very distant but some great views of the other species. Can't recall ever scoping woodcock before.

Buckton

Huge flock of Yellowhammer and Corn bunting but I couldn't find the owls reported earlier in the day. An insidious cold wind had crept up perhaps sending them deeper into cover.

460. Corn bunting

Scarborough

461. Surf scoter - 3rd scoter of the day, 2nd American duck in 2 days. Viewed from the holbeck carpark where the Med gulls are starting to get into breeding plumage.
462. Scaup - on the mere

After this I had decided to head back towards Flamborough in the hope that the White fronted geese may have shown up. Along the way I tried for the Rough legged buzzard at Grimston but the rain had set in and viewing was unpleasant and unproductive although a pale buzzard was worth a second look.

With the forecast for the weather not set to improve I gave up on the geese and came home via Harpham where I somehow managed to find the right area with some ambiguous directions from the residents of the village (Thank you!)

Harpham

463. (Black bellied) Dipper - New subspecies for me

Last edited:
Finally finished sorting Ghana species and as expected several omissions on this list so rather than re-indexing I'll just stick them here.

Kakum National Park 20/1/15

464. LITTLE GREEN SUNBIRD
465. Woodland kingfisher

Ankasa 26/1/15

466. YELLOW BEARDED GREENBUL

Sukomona lagoon 2/2/15

467. Spur winged plover

28/02/2015

Dipped Hawfinch at Rufford this morning then went across to Derbyshire to salvage something for the day.

Beeley Moor

468. Great grey shrike

01/03/2015

Elton reservoir

Spending a great deal of time under water (the duck, not me) but eventually decent views of:

469. Long tailed duck

With 10 months of the year to go this is now already my highest yearly total ever. A long way to the hoped for 600 though, especially as I picked up a fair few British summer visitors in Ghana.

Ingbirchworth reservoir

470. White fronted goose - I have just spent the afternoon trying to convince myself these three birds were flavirostris. I am just about there now but more from other people's photographs than my own observations.

07/03/2015

Family commitments kept birding to a minimum today but I went to see if I could catch up with a few finches still missing from the year list.

Near Ripponden

No sign of twite, maybe too early or maybe the howling wind keeping them tucked away somewhere. Instead a pair of Peregrines over.

471. Peregrine

Dovestones reservoir

Picked up Siskin here last year and although there was a large finch flock mostly Goldfinch and Redpoll, also plenty of Chaffinches, a few Greenfinches, one Bullfinch and at least five Brambling, no trace of Siskin.

472. Brambling

Last edited:
08/03/2015

Temple Newsam

Put a lot of hours in today for LSW but all I got to show for it was

473. Tawny owl

14/03/2015

Blacktoft

474. Barn owl
475. Hen harrier

Decided to have one last try at the harriers this winter and had to pack up my scope and pretend to leave before the male hen harrier put in an appearance.

21/3/15

Just a few short stops today. Horrible cold wind made birding unpleasant at times. Didn't even manage 30 minutes at the Wykeham raptor watch point with a cold wind in my face.

Wykeham

476. Egyptian goose

Buckton

477. Short eared owl - One very pale bird right out in the open.

Sowerby

478. Red necked grebe

Bempton

479. Kittiwake
480. Puffin

Swillington

481. Sand martin

22/3/15

Rishworth

Brief stop on the moors was all time allowed today. Nice male wheatear on show.

482. Wheatear

Last edited:
04/4/15

Another attempt this morning in better weather.

Near Rishworth

483. Twite

Milnsbridge

484. Chiffchaff

Last edited:
05/4/15

Swillington

Hoping for a white winged gull or two this morning but no luck.

485. Avocet
486. Garganey

14/4/15

An evening walk on the canal produced my first Blackcap of the year.

Milnsbridge

487. Blackcap

18/4/15

Hoping to catch up with the Little gull that's been around North Cave this week on route to Hull but although I was directed to the bird by someone, it was only a black headed gull with some missing tail feathers. I don't think the bird was around today.

North Cave

488. Little ringed plover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back