• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Scope Global shortage? (1 Viewer)

Reay_Bonxie

I have had a Leica APO televid 62 on order from an online company for the last 10 weeks now. The reason for the wait being that the manufacturers can't keep up with demand.

Has anybody else been given this excuse? |:S|

I ordered the 77 APO recently from a local dealer who had none in stock and the scope and all accessories arrived from Leica in under 10 days.

laservet said:
I ordered the 77 APO recently from a local dealer who had none in stock and the scope and all accessories arrived from Leica in under 10 days.

The "77" has been around much longer, so the demand should have been satisfied to a greater degree.

Reay_Bonxie said:
I have had a Leica APO televid 62 on order from an online company for the last 10 weeks now. The reason for the wait being that the manufacturers can't keep up with demand.

Has anybody else been given this excuse? |:S|

Not sure that it's an excuse so much as a fact - the angled APO 62 is out of stock at Leica and has been for a long time - if it's the angled you're after it will probably be a matter of waiting. If you want a straight you should be able to get hold of one if you shop around.

Didn't I read the other day that the troubled Leica company had taken a massive bath in its digital camera division (sales down to around half of the previous year) but more than made up the difference in its optics division? Binoculars and scopes must be flying out the door, so maybe they just can't keep up.

Tannin said:
Didn't I read the other day that the troubled Leica company had taken a massive bath in its digital camera division (sales down to around half of the previous year) but more than made up the difference in its optics division? Binoculars and scopes must be flying out the door, so maybe they just can't keep up.

From a Leica press release
"The Leica Camera Group, Solms, has closed the first half year of fiscal 2005/2006 (FY end March 31) with sales growing by 6.7 % on the previous year period, to € 48.0 million.
The largest sales growth was recorded by the binoculars, scopes and rangefinders of the Leica sports optics division, which increased by 34.4 % to € 17.7 million. The main driving force behind this positive development were the LEICA GEOVID BRF high performance binoculars with their integrated laser rangefinder. The integration of digital technology into the existing product range was also decisive for the 30.5 % growth experienced in the Leica system cameras division, which posted sales of € 16.6 million.
At € –1.9 million the operating result continues to be unsatisfactory, although it has been reduced by € 2.2 million compared to the previous year period. The extraordinary result comes to € –1.4 million, up from prior year’s € –2.4 million. The net loss after tax was reduced by € 2.8 million and amounts to € –4.6 million"

So they're still making a loss but not so bad as before, with the bins scope part doing well. I presume the Geovid with rangefinder is sold for hunting.

postcardcv said:
Not sure that it's an excuse so much as a fact - the angled APO 62 is out of stock at Leica and has been for a long time - if it's the angled you're after it will probably be a matter of waiting. If you want a straight you should be able to get hold of one if you shop around.

Aye, it is the angled one right enough. I just hope it comes by xmas but they did say back end of november, so heres hoping, then I may spot some of the rarer gulls from the north along my local beach. I have my Canon A95 now so if I'm lucky I will get my first ever bird photo up on view...when it arrives ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back