• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear ,Israel (2 Viewers)

ody

Which Wheatear ...Israel

Attachments

• Wheatear (1).jpg
    Wheatear (1).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Wheatear (2).jpg
    Wheatear (2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Wheatear (3).jpg
    Wheatear (3).jpg
    141 KB · Views: 96
  • Wheatear (4).jpg
    Wheatear (4).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for posting these Ody!
Guys these are mine. All different birds. All in Negev. I think the last two, might be Oenanthe deserti?

Just been watching in the past week multiple Desert Wheatears in southern Israel as well as seeing the Kurdish there and this would fit Black-eared Wheatear for me

Hi there. The author has posted those on my behalf. I am the photographer.

All birds are different individuals (I know as I photographed them). They are all taken in East Negev next to the Jordanian border in early April 2019.

Thanks!

The pale vent and tail base rules out Kurdish. I agree that the last two look like Eastern Black-eared. The first two seem paler on the shoulders and could be Desert. This would have been simple to distinguish in the field as the tail pattern is so different.

The pale vent and tail base rules out Kurdish. I agree that the last two look like Eastern Black-eared. The first two seem paler on the shoulders and could be Desert. This would have been simple to distinguish in the field as the tail pattern is so different.

Having trawled the web looking at BEW and KW. I find that the latter is more likely to have a warm buff wash to the flanks and lower belly with the former being mostly white in these areas, also KW often shows a white tail base to a greater or lesser extent and by the same token varying amounts of warm buff wash.

Having trawled the web looking at BEW and KW. I find that the latter is more likely to have a warm buff wash to the flanks and lower belly with the former being mostly white in these areas, also KW often shows a white tail base to a greater or lesser extent and by the same token varying amounts of warm buff wash.

Ken

I agree that the tail of KW is a classic T-pattern, black and white in males. However both vent and rump is coloured. It was of course called Red-tailed Wheatear until the split of Persian from KW. The plumage suggests that this is a male, albeit not fully mature. This means that this would be evident if this was a KW. I would stick to EBEW, having seen these species in Israel.

Of course it does mean that it is, nor that the pictures on the web are properly labelled.

What is clear is that this is the simplest of things to determine in the field. EBEW shows a very broken t-bar, KW a classic t-bar and Desert a fully black tail. Relying on Photos is making this far more complex.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back