• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

south farm, sherburne wildlife management area (1 Viewer)

peachfront

I am thinking ahead a few weeks and thought I would write a short post about this area where Wood Storks gather by the hundreds, as many as one thousand or more, in July and perhaps early August.

South Farm is about 1.5 miles north of the I-10 Ramah exit in the Atchafalaya Basin. There are some fields in front where the water can be drawn down to attract wading birds. Further back there are cypress trees. I visited this site on Aug. 1, 2002 and was blown away by the sight of hundreds of Wood Storks on the trees like Christmas ornaments. It would be a photographer's dream. I couldn't go back last year because an oak tree fell on my house and I had to be around to egg on the contractor and get the repairs made, but I plan to bring a camera this year!

You need a Wild Louisiana license to visit this site. You can get a day pass for 1.25, or you can get a license good for a whole year for $5.50 at Walmart in their hunting and fishing department. I might not be remembering these prices exactly right because the license runs from June 30 to June 30, so that's almost a year since I bought it, but I'm in the ball park. Well worth the price. You should also bring plenty of DEET because the mosquitoes can appear in truly impressive numbers.

I believe there may be hunting on this site at some times of the year but it's safe to bird in July/August. I'll post a link to a full report and pix after I visit this year but thought I'd go ahead and mention the Wood Stork gathering in advance in case anyone will be in the area during that time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back