• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help wanted (1 Viewer)

Mike Cross

Would be grateful for any help possible. Wife is dead set on going to Lake Garda and I am most definitely not. The prospect of not being able to set foot off tarmac in a bird-less desert devoid of any birdlife and full of gun totting people just doesn't do it for me! Otherwise I'd go to Essex, which is cheaper!
Has anyone got any really good believable reasons/excuses not to go - no matter how spurious. Would be really grateful for any help with this.

Mike

I'm with you, Lake Garda is not so good for birds in summer season.
And... Yes, it's full of tourists, a lot from northern countries: Germany, Netherlands, UK, ...
So probably the reason of bird-less land is for foreigners(???) 8-P

Some bird resists, anyone shows itself to English eies sample

Some English birder leaves definitely England veronabirder.com

Our association Verona Birdwatching - our logo-bird is a Crag Martin, I think you like it

And gallery gallery

Is probably East Sussex better than Essex?

cheers B :)

Garda

Maurizio's right, avoid in summer (even though Goosander breeds in the middle of the hordes of tourists!), but any other time can be fantastic. "Like what?" you ask . . . Well, in the last year or so: Pallas's Warbler, Caspian and WWB Terns, Western Reef Heron, Little Bittern, Moustached Warbler, Pom Skua, hundreds of Black-necked Grebes, Penduline Tit. And that's from memory, which isn't my best attribute. Go on, indulge your wife! If you rent a car, within half an hour you could be watching Rock Thrush, Short-toed and Golden Eagle, Black-eared Wheatear, Black Grouse, and who knows what else. And people say there are no birds in Italy!

https://www.facebook.com/veronabirder

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back