• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED2 too long in the tooth? (1 Viewer)

Palliam

Hi,
I have just acquired an ED2 body boxed and in mint condition for £170 with SOC. I suspect I paid a bit over the odds but I am not too worried about this. I bought it on a whim while in a hospital waiting room waiting to have some stitches removed from my eye! I wanted a bit more reach with the 20 and 27 eyepieces I use on my ED50, but don’t want the 82 as I don’t drive and don’t want a too heavy scope. Would it have been worth hanging on and paying a bit more for an ED3? I will play with the ED2 for a few weeks and see how I like it, but am just curious what people think.
Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

Check out my thread right below this one on the 60 and 82. I had an EDII from new (about 1992) and it got knocked over at the Point Reyes lighthouse about 3-4 years ago and the objective lens ring was bent, making it unserviceable. Long story short, I now have both EDIIIs. The EDII is a great scope, and I didn't think the EDIII was a big step up, but the waterproof element is really nice. I'm actually curious if you find the EDII better than the ED50.

I don't think the EDII is long in tooth - it is a classic.

I used the EDII for a long time before switching to the EDIII. Still got the old one though as a spare. We've got two more EDIIs in the family, so I know that scope quite well, and while the EDIII is *a bit* better optically (better coatings) and has better waterproofing, it's still a very good scope.

In fact, it it so good that I've got no complaints at all when I look through my mother's or my sister's scope on a trip. Just slightly better contrast - and that's it. Compared to the ED50 it's got slightly lower contrast due to the older coatings, but the larger objective lens is a clear advantage, and not just at higher magnifications.

I reckon you'll like it a lot ... :)

Hermann

I also think it is notable that Better View Desired had the EDII as their reference standard (back in the 90s).

I used an EDii for a few years with the 24x DS eyepiece - an excellent combo. If you look at any images of birding in the 80's and early 90's on Scilly, its rare not to see a number of these in action.
The coatings aren't the latest (the scopes are getting on for 30 years now!) but with the more modern eyepieces, they deliver a fantastic image that's 90% as good as anything else out there. I upgraded to an ED50 and ED82, but optically the EDii is still very good. I know they weren't considered waterproof, but ever had any issues with mine - used in in rainforests in Thailand, autumn/winter on the east coast etc and never leaked and rarely steamed up. For £170, you probably got a bargain classic scope!

Thanks for the responses - they were really helpful. I am just getting back in to birding and am still finding my feet with the scopes. I was out with the 50ED yesterday and am still astonished at the quality. There is aVelvet Scoter visiting a local reservoir and I also managed to find a Green Woodpecker in an area I remembered they frequented a few years ago. Both these locations are very local to me and I could easily have taken the new (to me) ED2.
There will be a few weeks of experimenting!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back