• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Crested Grebes, success at last. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
The pair of GCG's on my local patch have had success at last. Tuesday 27th July ( I think ) they managed to hatch a pair of chicks at the 4th nesting/laying attempt.
The first failed after about two weeks when spawning fish knocked their nest to bits.
The second failure in the same place when we had a heavy North wind which again destroyed the nest.
The third failed in a different location when Crows ( I suspect )walked down the branches and destroyed the eggs.
They moved back to the original location in the trailing branches of a Weeping Willow for this attempt.
Its always good to see them persevere and eventually succeed!.

Attachments

• tn_grebes_cropped.jpg
    tn_grebes_cropped.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 185
Fourth time lucky! Glad that they managed it in the end.

Did they lay eggs four times or just attempt nesting four times?

Thanks for posting this nice story and a nice pic.

Attachments

• hurray.gif
    hurray.gif
    584 bytes · Views: 106
Last edited:
Andrew said:
Fourth time lucky! Glad that they managed it in the end.

Did they lay eggs four times or just attempt nesting four times?
Andrew

They laid eggs every time, the first time they were sitting nearly three weeks!.

Really delightful birds, I can remember the first sighting of them, out walking with Girl Guides at Easter, when it snowed, hailed, rained and north wind blew, I had to point it out to the girls I was with as it was my first time, I was over 35 then, so it was very special for me too! The first time I realised I was interested in Bird watching!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back