• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Transport/Stay-on case (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I hate stay-on cases. Except the old Zeiss neoprene one for the old Victory D'scope. Anyway now I have a Meopta S2. I didn't like the SOC so sold it (the case...I haven't birded much this last few years, and was going to sell the scope, but glad I didn't). The case IMHO made the helical focusser more difficult to use, as the focusser rubbed off the case.
I took a chance and ordered a Celestron case to protect the scope in transport. From the 'bay, Northern Optics/Lincolnshire Optics. It's described as a SOC but in the photos looked more like a carry-case like the Optech ones. Only thirty quid. For 80mm Celestron Ultima/Regal angled scopes. It arrived promptly, and i'm seriously impressed. Very well padded, tough nylon and zippers. Shoulder strap and handles. Bigger than I need, but that's good. I think it would easily fit a Swaro 95mm, but will check with a friend's Swaro as soon as possible. Can be used as transport case or SOC. Flaps open up and can be secured back with velcro pads. Same with objective flap, so it won't blow about and destabilise the scope in the wind. Helical focusser doesn't grind off interior of the case. 5-6cm longer than my Meopta, but that's good because now when seawatching in rough weather I don't have to go cutting a plastic soft-drinks bottle to make an extended rainguard. See photos.

Attachments

• 8C576710-91E2-4C7A-B550-AFF192CC4A9B.jpg
    8C576710-91E2-4C7A-B550-AFF192CC4A9B.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 39D8E9E1-E614-4BC9-96D4-CDC62AA42134.jpg
    39D8E9E1-E614-4BC9-96D4-CDC62AA42134.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DD41714C-DE3E-4D2C-BA43-C3C103809851.jpg
    DD41714C-DE3E-4D2C-BA43-C3C103809851.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi Peter...will check tmorrow. There are about 5-6cm (length) to spare at the objective end with my Meopta inside. It would be a similar fit on the Zeiss 85mm, Swaro ATS 80, etc. The only measurement I took today was the internal diameter of the objective end, it came in just shy of 120mm. I've never seen the 80mm Celestron Ultima/Regal this was designed for; I assume it has a very long and thick body.

I'll have to check this out! I have both versions of the Celestron case. The first was incredibly tight at the objective end on the 80mm Regal (almost impossible to use) and Celestron sent free of charge a revised, slightly larger version that works fine.

I use the original Meopta case just for transport. I haven't seen the SOC.

My S2 is nearing its 5th birthday (I think) and I have to say it's just all I need in a scope!! Love it!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back