• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Spain - Pt 3 - June 2019 (1 Viewer)

Thanks John will certainly be touch. just doing some basic research into prices for flights, accommodation, best areas to base ourselves etc at present. was thinking we would fly to Malaga and then base ourselves somewhere around the Gaucin/Ronda area or possibly slightly further west. We tend to try and find self catering accommodation in slightly rural areas where we can do a spot of birding locally in the evenings etc. Still trying to decide which the best area in terms of access and realistic travel distances to cover the area and our targets species (it will be along list!)

I will of course be purchasing a copy of your excellent looking guide in the not too distant future!

Ronda is a good base for mountain birds & Grazalema and not too far from Osuna (bustards & Rollers). The downside is that you're a little far from the Straits and to a lesser extent Sanlucar/Bonanza. Gaucin is better for the Straits but worse for Osuna & Sanlucar. I'm biased but I think somewhere in central Cadiz province is a good compromise. I'm afraid you can't buy my birding guide - it's free although I welcome a charitable donation. Do get in touch so that I can assist you in any way,

So what are the targets? A two base hol sounds best.
Haven't been out to Spain this year (yet) our house is rented out, but I intend to get back soon, and usually manage a Spring and Autumn visit. Seeing the migration across the straits is well worth the effort.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back