• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shake with 10X. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I´m looking for a small and maneageable binocular, and I´m have not decided, if a bino-pocket or any other...
Now, I have a Pentax Papilio 6.5, very good for short distance but passable for medium´large distance, but 6.5 seems a little bit for much situations, I would like some similar but with 8-10X, you think that the Papilio 8.5 can be a good alternative . complement ? or maybe some Canon IS model, like the 8x25 or 10X30 IS ( double cost), a 10X model bino without stabilization is not worth as my hands temble with this magnification...sure!!
With the 8X or 8.5 X my hands are a bit temble...
thanks for your suggestions and advice
Wachi

Hello,
I´m looking for a small and maneageable binocular, and I´m have not decided, if a bino-pocket or any other...
Now, I have a Pentax Papilio 6.5, very good for short distance but passable for medium´large distance, but 6.5 seems a little bit for much situations, I would like some similar but with 8-10X, you think that the Papilio 8.5 can be a good alternative . complement ? or maybe some Canon IS model, like the 8x25 or 10X30 IS ( double cost), a 10X model bino without stabilization is not worth as my hands temble with this magnification...sure!!
Wachi
If you want more magnification especially 10x and you shake at 10x I would definitely go with the Canon 10x30 IS. It will without a doubt outperform a Papillio 8.5x. You will be able to see much more detail and the Canon 10x30 IS is not that big. I feel you would be very happy with the Canon.

Hello,
Wachi

Wachi
I agree with Dennis that if you are not very steady with your hands then Canon's 10x30 IS model would be a big help for you.
BUT
Its close focus distance is a big 4.5m so if you use your binos a lot for looking at things that are close (like butterflies and flowers) then make sure to keep your 6.5x Papilios for this kind of viewing. For medium and long distances the Canon will help a lot.

Lee

Wachi
I agree with Dennis that if you are not very steady with your hands then Canon's 10x30 IS model would be a big help for you.
BUT
Its close focus distance is a big 4.5m so if you use your binos a lot for looking at things that are close (like butterflies and flowers) then make sure to keep your 6.5x Papilios for this kind of viewing. For medium and long distances the Canon will help a lot.

Lee

Actually to be pedantic the close focus is listed as 4.2m. Still not great.

Actually to be pedantic the close focus is listed as 4.2m. Still not great.

When it comes to specs 'pedantic' is good. Thanks for the correction Dipped.

Am heading for the Sandlings at the end of March, beginning of April and looking forward to the occasional Adnams pint.

Cheers Lee

Hi,

Not to be too pedantic, but I just measured the actual close focus of my 10x30 IS II's and with my glasses on it measures 3.96M and with them off, 3.66M !!

Doug.......

PS Lee, if you can make it up to Southwold, visit the Adnams brewery for a few samples !!

Last edited:
Hi,

Not to be too pedantic, but I just measured the actual close focus of my 10x30 IS II's and with my glasses on it measures 3.96M and with them off, 3.66M !!

Doug.......

PS Lee, if you can make it up to Southwold, visit the Adnams brewery for a few samples !!

I might just do that Doug B :)

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back