• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2019 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Ophrys hybrids

Woodcock x fly - just one plant at the Yeovil site this year; three flowers out, just one still in bud, just past peak I think:

http://surfbirds.com/gallery/share_photo.php?imgname=20190512164734331.jpg

Bee x Fly - In a short search just 4 plants at the Wincanton site yesterday; one lower on the bank in full flower and three above in bud, bext next weekend perhaps

http://surfbirds.com/gallery/share_photo.php?imgname=20190512164259496.jpg

Chapett's Copse, Hants

Sword-leaved Helleborines - about 5-10% in flower yesterday - next weekend perhaps the early peak. If anyone has precise details for confirmed C. x schulzei from last year, I'd be grateful for a PM.

cheers
Alan

Ophrys hybrids

Woodcock x fly - just one plant at the Yeovil site this year; three flowers out, just one still in bud, just past peak I think:

http://surfbirds.com/gallery/share_photo.php?imgname=20190512164734331.jpg

Bee x Fly - In a short search just 4 plants at the Wincanton site yesterday; one lower on the bank in full flower and three above in bud, bext next weekend perhaps

http://surfbirds.com/gallery/share_photo.php?imgname=20190512164259496.jpg

Chapett's Copse, Hants

Sword-leaved Helleborines - about 5-10% in flower yesterday - next weekend perhaps the early peak. If anyone has precise details for confirmed C. x schulzei from last year, I'd be grateful for a PM.

cheers
Alan

Nice photos

It is a possibility that the Fly x Woodcock Orchid may be on its way out. last year there were 4 in flower, but that may have been down from previous years. Mixed blessings perhaps.

Late start

It is good to see the forum up and running and with some interesting posts. We are late on parade this year as Elaine has a nasty bout of sciatica which militates against stooping (or even stopping) to see Lesser Twayblades, Bog Orchid and the likes. But we are hoping to get out soon and to survey some of the more local sites here in NE Wales. We are particularly interested in seeing how Minera Quarry is faring in its new guise. We also will seek to keep the usual eye on Alyn Watters - I am particularly interested to see whether the Pyramidal orchids continue to spread. Thanks to Muba for getting things underway again and for some informative postings.

Martin

Thank you Muba for directions what a place.
Primrose, Early Purple and Green-Winged Orchids.

Thanks for posting these with the photos. Yes it is a lovely site: we've tended in recent years to visit Gop Hill at the other end of the season to see the ALTs; so it is good to see these photos of earlier species.

Martin

The Frog Orchids are in flower at 'the Place of the Eagles'. As usual they are hard to spot at first, but this early the grass and undergrowth is minimal and you can just about see them. But careful where you tread.

Attachments

• frog191.jpg
    frog191.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 44
  • frog192.jpg
    frog192.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 27
  • frog193.jpg
    frog193.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 23
Ophrys hybrids

Chapett's Copse, Hants

cheers
Alan

Not sure if it is of any help but there is a photo of the hybrid from a guided walk at Chappetts yesterday on the Native Orchids Facebook group.

Rich

Day out in North Wales

A good day out in North Wales with Ben.

Minera Quarry had at least four Cuckoos calling and flying, also a Peregrine. Lifting a reptile refuge sheet revealed the tiniest Slow Worm I’ve ever seen, not much bigger than a large centipede. Lots of Early Purple Orchid in the limestone grassland and some mystery marsh orchids with the flower just breaking from the rosette, I suspect Early Marsh.

Then Eryrys for Frog Orchid and little else, no ‘longibracteatum’ and no butterflies on the wing.

To Maeshafn and Clive’s wood to see the Pied Flycatchers in the nest boxes he put up last autumn, they must have simply passed through the wood last year, the trees not being old enough to have developed natural nest holes. Also Nuthatch in another box. Well done Clive.

Finally Marford Quarry, again cold and windy but three bigger Slow Worms under the refuges, maybe 15” long.

Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• Slow Worm.jpg
    Slow Worm.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 20
  • EPO Minera 01.jpg
    EPO Minera 01.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 14
  • EPO Minera 02.jpg
    EPO Minera 02.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 11
  • EPO Minera Close 01.jpg
    EPO Minera Close 01.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Frog Orchid Eryrys 04.jpg
    Frog Orchid Eryrys 04.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 22
Frog Orchids

Just a couple more photos
JMH

Attachments

• Frog Orchid Eryrys 03.jpg
    Frog Orchid Eryrys 03.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Frog Orchid Close Eryrys 01.jpg
    Frog Orchid Close Eryrys 01.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 31
Burnt Orchids

Yesterday we ventured the arduous journey across to Derbyshire having received A+ details of where to find Burnt Tip Orchids. We found them, 36 in all, having also braved climbing gates adorned with barbed wire, and a field with a herd of bullocks. Despite their lovely contrasting colours they are not that easy to find. The tallest we saw was under 4 inches tall. Caught a look at my first ever Green Hairstreak too; at least in this country.
The down side was that I have since discovered that had we explored a further 200-330 yards further we would have stumbled onto a shedload of Fly Orchids. Frog and Bee also reside there.

Attachments

• bto1.jpg
    bto1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
  • bto2.jpg
    bto2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 25
  • bto3.jpg
    bto3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bto4.jpg
    bto4.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 25
I have found that if you speak to someone on site, they are really helpful, even taking you to see the flower. If you get info online, if will nearly always be vague and lead you to a general area, with up to a square mile of searching involved. Martin Down being perhaps the most extreme example. I'm sure lots of people, myself included, have left that place tearing their hair out.

We all find them eventually, but I worry about increased risk of trampling. Some reserves I visited last weekend had taped off areas and cages.. very easy to find the plants in this case!

I have found that if you speak to someone on site, they are really helpful, even taking you to see the flower. If you get info online, if will nearly always be vague and lead you to a general area, with up to a square mile of searching involved. Martin Down being perhaps the most extreme example. I'm sure lots of people, myself included, have left that place tearing their hair out.

We all find them eventually, but I worry about increased risk of trampling. Some reserves I visited last weekend had taped off areas and cages.. very easy to find the plants in this case!

I remember years ago at Languard I think, where they has a rare plant caged off to stop rabbits eating it they said, think it was called 'Stinking Goose Foot' from memory?

I remember years ago at Languard I think, where they has a rare plant caged off to stop rabbits eating it they said, think it was called 'Stinking Goose Foot' from memory?

"smells of rotting fish", at risk from Rabbits with blocked sinuses!

Anyway, one of the Burnt Tip Orchids from Knocking Hoe, Beds. Loads of Pasqueflower here too. Most gone to seed, a couple of flowers still present

Attachments

• DSCN7403.JPG
    DSCN7403.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 10
Alyn Waters Early Season

We managed our first outing this season to AWCP just to check up on how things were looking. Plenty of Common Twayblade coming through, some in flower, with loads more to come. Common Spotted at rosette stage only. More interestingly perhaps, numerous Dune Helleborine pushing through very early (as last year) though nowhere near flowering as yet! Absolutely no sign of Bee Orchids at this stage. All of this was on the Gwersyllt side; we did not venture over to the Llay side on this visit, but will hope to check things out again in 10-14 days. Photos are less than perfection - photographer unable to stoop very far at present! Please note the Dune has clearly been under attack already - but there are plenty of others on the way.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 25
Bird's-nest Orchid

Following up some supplied information we had a walk through the woods of Wenlock Edge today, and found only one item of interest - a single Bird's Nest Orchid in an old quarry. Clearly pre-discovered as it was well protected by a collection of twigs. Other than that just Common Spotted pushing up and a few weedy Twayblades just about to flower.

Attachments

• BNO.jpg
    BNO.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 30
Following up some supplied information we had a walk through the woods of Wenlock Edge today, and found only one item of interest - a single Bird's Nest Orchid in an old quarry. Clearly pre-discovered as it was well protected by a collection of twigs. Other than that just Common Spotted pushing up and a few weedy Twayblades just about to flower.

Thank you for posting this, Steve. I have PMd you in connection with it.

Martin

Lesser Twayblade

I am hoping to have yet another search for the elusive Lesser Twayblade on my way to Anglesey in mid-June. Can anyone give me any directions to a good site in the vicinity of the A5? Confidentiality is assured.

Dave.

I believe these are my closest Man Orchids! an hour's drive, on the edge of Guildford, at Pewley Down.
Nice, small reserve, despite it's popularity with locals.
Also a Small Blue butterfly (not photo'd).

Attachments

• DSCN7450.JPG
    DSCN7450.JPG
    819 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN7451.JPG
    DSCN7451.JPG
    900.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN7452.JPG
    DSCN7452.JPG
    729.3 KB · Views: 17
Bee Orchids

Bee Orchids do have a habit of appearing in unexpected places. This is the second local place where I have seen them growing in a grass verge on an industrial estate. This is certainly the most impressive of the two, with perhaps 200+ in or about to flower this year.

Attachments

• llaybee1.jpg
    llaybee1.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back