• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allbinos.com review - New Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

Well....that's about what has been said by current owners here on BF all along! WELL before this review too. And I don't even HAVE one....YET!

I'm by no means any binocular brand "fanboy" but folks have to admit...Swarovski is doing things right and very consistently too.

Allbino's complained about the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B but sill ranked it 4th over some highly touted 8x32's like the Nikon SE, Leica Ultravid HD and the Zeiss Conquest HD. That is pretty impressive for a smaller 30mm binocular. If Allbino's tested the Swarovski SV 8x32 it would be interesting to see if it could could edge(play on words) the Nikon EDG 8x32 out of first place. The EDG would beat the SV on CA and internal reflections or glare and the SV would dominate in astigmatism, coma, and darkness at the edge of the field. Things Allbino's don't test are important also. The EDG has by far the smoothest focuser and the SV has the best accessories like objective covers, rainguard, strap and case. What I don't understand is why Nikon went through the trouble to put a little bump to hold their objective covers on and THEN they made them too small to fit tightly in the opening so they keep popping out and they have NEVER fixed them. You can't even replace them with a different objective cover because of the darn bump! The SV's edges are slightly sharper and the field is slightly flatter than the EDG but this can create rolling ball caused by AMD distortion for some people. If you are bothered by RB the EDG is a better binocular for you than the SV. It is less likely to show RB. The SV has a slightly bigger FOV than the EDG also but the EDG has a very large FOV except in the 7x42 which is kind of small for a 7x42. Also, Swarovski has by far the best customer service and the best warranty and will bend over backwards to satisfy you. Nikon is a distant 2nd in my experience. I have the SV 8x32, SV 8.5x42, SV 10x32, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P, Ultravid 8x20 BCR, Nikon 7x15 reverse porro and the Nikon EDG 10x32. The SV and EDG are both excellent in the 10x32 format and each has it's strong points and weak points. I like them both. It is weird that Nikon can manufacture such great optics as in the EDG binocular but then conversely be so lame when it comes to designing an objective cover. Maybe they need more mechanical engineers instead of optical engineers to design their accessories.

Last edited:
Nikon is pretty clueless when it comes to marketing. As we speak, I've had conversations with them about their Nikon Laserforce bino/rf unit. Nikon CS says the unit carries a lifetime warranty on the binoculars as well as the electronics. They even sent me an email and put it in writing. Problem is, when you open the box, one of the first things you see is a pink colored warranty registration card, specifically stating that the warranty is lifetime no fault on bino, 2 years on electronics. Nikon doesn't even know what's going on with their own product.

Allbino's complained about the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B but sill ranked it 4th over some highly touted 8x32's like the Nikon SE, Leica Ultravid HD and the Zeiss Conquest HD. That is pretty impressive for a smaller 30mm binocular. If Allbino's tested the Swarovski SV 8x32 it would be interesting to see if it could could edge(play on words) the Nikon EDG 8x32 out of first place. The EDG would beat the SV on CA and internal reflections or glare and the SV would dominate in astigmatism, coma, and darkness at the edge of the field. Things Allbino's don't test are important also. The EDG has by far the smoothest focuser and the SV has the best accessories like objective covers, rainguard, strap and case. What I don't understand is why Nikon went through the trouble to put a little bump to hold their objective covers on and THEN they made them too small to fit tightly in the opening so they keep popping out and they have NEVER fixed them. You can't even replace them with a different objective cover because of the darn bump! The SV's edges are slightly sharper and the field is slightly flatter than the EDG but this can create rolling ball caused by AMD distortion for some people. If you are bothered by RB the EDG is a better binocular for you than the SV. It is less likely to show RB. The SV has a slightly bigger FOV than the EDG also but the EDG has a very large FOV except in the 7x42 which is kind of small for a 7x42. Also, Swarovski has by far the best customer service and the best warranty and will bend over backwards to satisfy you. Nikon is a distant 2nd in my experience. I have the SV 8x32, SV 8.5x42, SV 10x32, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P, Ultravid 8x20 BCR, Nikon 7x15 reverse porro and the Nikon EDG 10x32. The SV and EDG are both excellent in the 10x32 format and each has it's strong points and weak points. I like them both. It is weird that Nikon can manufacture such great optics as in the EDG binocular but then conversely be so lame when it comes to designing an objective cover. Maybe they need more mechanical engineers instead of optical engineers to design their accessories.

Dennis,

The Nikon 7x42 EDG has an 8º FOV which is normal for a 7x42. It is the same as the Swarovski SLC Neu 7x42 B and the Leica 7x42 Ultravid.

Bob

Dennis,

The Nikon 7x42 EDG has an 8º FOV which is normal for a 7x42. It is the same as the Swarovski SLC Neu 7x42 B and the Leica 7x42 Ultravid.

Bob
Normal, but not exceptional. An 8 degree FOV on a 7x only gives you a 56 degree AFOV which is just not that impressive to me when it comes to the WOW factor. When I buy an alpha and pay big bucks I want an above average AFOV. I prefer the Zeiss FL 7x42 in a 7x over the EDG for that reason. With it's 8.6 degree FOV it pushes to a 60.2 degree AFOV which is much more impressive to me. Now the Nikon EDG 10x32 which I have has a 6.5 degree FOV which gives you a 65 degree AFOV. Now you are talking! A much more WOW view in the 10x32 EDG than the 7x42 EDG. I like over a 60 degree AFOV in general for me to be a happy camper.

I guess some folks think a 8X32 is too big so they need to get an 8X30 CL?, this has to be marketing. I would take a SE 8X32 way over a CL 8X30 any day of the week. I in fact use the SEs and the EII more than my other roofs in 8X32.

Andy W.

I guess some folks think a 8X32 is too big so they need to get an 8X30 CL?, this has to be marketing. I would take a SE 8X32 way over a CL 8X30 any day of the week. I in fact use the SEs and the EII more than my other roofs in 8X32.

Andy W.

Andy

I use my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B because it has the easiest eye placement of any binocular I have ever used! I have no problem with blackouts at all and because of the design of its eyepieces I can place them up against my eyebrows or back in my eye sockets with out getting blackouts.

The Allbino's review doesn't discuss this "optical box" versatility built into its eyepiece which we have been discussing here on Bird Forum since it was introduced.

It comes down to a matter of comfort of use which seems to me is an issue that is hardly ever discussed here when it comes to binoculars. Small variations of FOV are given undue importance.

Binoculars are made with an extra 1/2º FOV which could cause blackouts and egg shaped exit pupils when one with 1/2º less FOV would avoid those problems and in practical use that difference in FOV is meaningless.

Incidentally Andy, if I'm not mistaken, your EII (which you use more than your roofs) is an 8x30 (unless you have the 10x35).;). I have one of them too.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Normal, but not exceptional. An 8 degree FOV on a 7x only gives you a 56 degree AFOV which is just not that impressive to me when it comes to the WOW factor. When I buy an alpha and pay big bucks I want an above average AFOV. I prefer the Zeiss FL 7x42 in a 7x over the EDG for that reason. With it's 8.6 degree FOV it pushes to a 60.2 degree AFOV which is much more impressive to me. Now the Nikon EDG 10x32 which I have has a 6.5 degree FOV which gives you a 65 degree AFOV. Now you are talking! A much more WOW view in the 10x32 EDG than the 7x42 EDG. I like over a 60 degree AFOV in general for me to be a happy camper.

Dennis,

Allbinos, for whatever reason, in its Binocular stats does not mention AFOV.

It gives Angular FOV in degrees (8º for Swaro and 8.5º for Zeiss) and Linear FOV in meters (140/1000 for Swaro) and (150/1000 for Zeiss). That is what the user making comparisons with binoculars has to work with.

Bob

Andy W.
The Swarovski 8x30 CL is significantly smaller and lighter than most 8x32's like the SE or EII. To a lot of people especially travelers that is very important. Also, many people especially those birding in wet or tropical climates need a waterproof and fog proof binocular.

If I were to go to a tropical rain forest, (and I have been to many, I grew up in the tropics) I would take the Bushnell Legend M and the Meopta 7X42, done. An extra pound to me is nothing to carry. Sorry, but even with the "optical box" I would never spend over $1000 for an 8X30 CL.

Andy W.

The Swarovski 8x30 CL is significantly smaller and lighter than most 8x32's like the SE or EII. To a lot of people especially travelers that is very important. Also, many people especially those birding in wet or tropical climates need a waterproof and fog proof binocular.

It is smaller and lighter than most 8x32s like the SE and 8x30 EII Porro prisms. In fact it is an excellent replacement for the very old popular and revered, recently discontinued Swarovski SLC New 8x30 WB; which was the size of most 8x32s.

Bob

If I were to go to a tropical rain forest, (and I have been to many, I grew up in the tropics) I would take the Bushnell Legend M and the Meopta 7X42, done. An extra pound to me is nothing to carry. Sorry, but even with the "optical box" I would never spend over $1000 for an 8X30 CL.

Andy W.

Consider it the replacement for Swarovski's Classic SLC Neu 8x30 WB which goes back into the 1980s. There also was a 7x30 version back then.

The last 8x30 was made in 2010 I believe. I bought one and gave it to my son.

https://www.allbinos.com/243-Swarovski_SLC_New_8x30_WB-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Andy W.
I think that is great that you are in the physical condition to not mind carrying a 42mm but there are a lot of women, seniors and people who just appreciate a smaller, lighter more compact binocular if it meets their needs for birding. I know as I get older I am leaning towards 32mm and smaller. Part of it is as you get older you can't take advantage of the bigger exit pupil anyway because your pupils don't open as wide so why carry the weight.

Attachments

• pupil-size-change-with-age-2_orig.jpg
    pupil-size-change-with-age-2_orig.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
The CL Companion is wonderful, but for me the only advantage it has over the EL 8x32 is price. Yes, the CL is a little lighter: 1.31 lb. vs. 1.08 lb., but the larger objective EL has a better field of view, larger exit pupil, better eye relief, and significantly better minimum focus distance. The price difference is significant, almost double, but the EL is superior. Nothing against the CL, it's great- I almost bought it, but for me it has neither the ease of carry of smaller glass (like my Zeiss Victory Pocket), nor the performance of the larger glass.

So Dennis, are all middle aged folks required to use a 8X32 and 10X32, I know many men in their mid 60s still using 8X42s and 10X50s.

Andy W.

I agree. I had the new Swarovski 8x30 CL and I now have the 8x32 SV and you are right. Although the CL is a good binocular the SV is definitely superior. It should be at twice the price!

I really think even though the average pupil diameter of a 60 year old man is 4mm there are many that have pupil diameters of 5mm and more. The 4mm is just that an average. If you are over 60 and you notice a difference in brightness between a 32mm and a 42mm then get the 42mm. It depends a lot on the type of birding you do also. If you are looking for owls at dusk or waterfowl early in the morning a 42mm could be advantageous. It also depends on your latitude and climate. If you live in a sunny country with many clear days like Colorado versus an area with a lot of fog and rain like Seattle that may influence your decision also. For me personally there is not a lot of advantage to using a 42mm because most of my birding is in good weather in the daytime and a 32mm will work well for that. That could be an affect of age also. As you get older most are probably not as likely to bird in inclement weather and at odd hours like before dawn and after dusk. Of course we are all different but for me those are the reasons I use a 32mm and under for most of my birding.

Dennis, post 15,
The changes in pupil size with age are certainly not so absolute as indicated in your table. There are large variations so a 60 year old can have a larger pupil size than indicated in the table and that has even be observed for eyes older than 60.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back