• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glastonbury Festival List (1 Viewer)

SiG

Chiffchaff in trees by gate 2
Buzzard circling the site daily
Herring gulls every morning
Blackbird
Wren
Chaffinch
Swallow
Carrion Crow
Willow Warbler
Dunnock
Guillemots (Jazzworld stage, Saturday; managed to name check the pacific Diver and the White-tailed Plover in their intro too)

and I dipped into a wood-fired hot-tub at 5am Sunday night/Monday morning ...

Chiffchaff in trees by gate 2
Buzzard circling the site daily
Herring gulls every morning
Blackbird
Wren
Chaffinch
Swallow
Carrion Crow
Willow Warbler
Dunnock
Guillemots (Jazzworld stage, Saturday; managed to name check the pacific Diver and the White-tailed Plover in their intro too)

and I dipped into a wood-fired hot-tub at 5am Sunday night/Monday morning ...

lol. You forgot to mention thousands of waders (and that was just the festival-goers).

A Hobby flew over when I was there in 86. They were a bit less common back then, so it was a bit of a surprise to see one flying over a big crowd of Half-man half-biscuit fans.

Tom

A Hobby flew over when I was there in 86. They were a bit less common back then, so it was a bit of a surprise to see one flying over a big crowd of Half-man half-biscuit fans.

Tom

Ah, that was a good year, back in the day ... or the DHSS ...

Yours in a Dukla Prague Away Kit,

SiG

.. it was a bit of a surprise to see one flying over a big crowd of Half-man half-biscuit fans.

Tom

The real surprise would be the big crowd for half-man half-biscuit.

FWIW I vaguely recall seeing a Robin while having a piss behind a row of portaloos in one of the other muddy years in about 1998 or 1999 (Primal Scream in the dance tent).

I managed a buzzard, hobby and a couple of skylarks that didn't stop their song flight all the way through the Biggin Hill air show the other week!

Had Lesser Whitethroat and Green Woodpecker by "The Orchard" one year, on the Tuesday before it got too noisy. Back when it was still a festival;)

In the stupendously hot 1996 Phoenix festival, when water was in seriously short supply, I remember thinking I was hallucinating when I saw what appeared to be a flock of Griffon Vultures. It turned out to be a dirt devil of huge (near tornado proportions), thickly populated with thermalling black bin-liners.

In the stupendously hot 1996 Phoenix festival, when water was in seriously short supply, I remember thinking I was hallucinating when I saw what appeared to be a flock of Griffon Vultures. It turned out to be a dirt devil of huge (near tornado proportions), thickly populated with thermalling black bin-liners.
yes jane
i think the special effects took their toll..;) :-O
just kidding..

Well as it's still festy season I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Had a Hobby over the van at the Big Green Gathering at the weekend being seriously bombareded by hirundines, and a Tree Pipit over the Croissant Neuf tent.

Well as it's still festy season I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Had a Hobby over the van at the Big Green Gathering at the weekend being seriously bombareded by hirundines, and a Tree Pipit over the Croissant Neuf tent.

All I got was a Raven, 2 Buzzards and loads of juv Swallows!

Good stuff! Bringing me on to the B52s at Love Box, Victoria Park, LOndon a few weeks ago when all I managed to note was a good number of (common) swifts.

Just back from another festival, Endorse-it in Dorset, with a few slightly odd festy-site ticks in the form of Stock Dove, Treecreeper and Marsh Tit. No sign of Monty's Harrier though, but I did keep an occasional eye out as I did see one about a mile from this site about 25 years ago.

I think I might have to start a "birds seen at festivals" list

My football ground list is quite good, though the most depressing was a grounded Redwing that spent the second half of a fog bound night game, entiriey unmolested in the opposition (Nottingham Forest) penalty area!'

Coincidentally Common Tern over Meadow Lane too. I kow someone who saw Pied Fly at St James Park and someone else who can claim LEO over Bloomfield Rd. I've seen Peregrine and Sparrowhawk over Prenton Park and tried valiantly to string a Laughing Gull at Goodison.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back