• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds haven't you seen yet? (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I just updated my signature and noticed that my year list has 10 birds less than my life list. Since I've only been seriously birding for a year, and since I didn't go on any exotic field trips last year, I thought I'd look and see which birds I saw here in Ottawa last year that I haven't seen this year:

1. Wood thrush- I think I've heard a couple singing this year, too, just haven't been able to track them down.

2. Common Moorhen- last year we had one nest in a local conservation area, so I was able to see the adult with her young throughout the summer. She doesn't seem to be nesting there this year, though.

3. Nashville Warbler- seen last year during fall migration, so I'm hoping to see one this fall!

4. Philadelphia Vireo- also seen last year during fall migration, hoping to see one this year.

5. Blue-headed Vireo- also seen last year during fall migration, should be able to see one this year.

6. Black-backed Woodpecker - not common here in Ottawa, only visits occasionally in the winter. I'm hoping to see one at Algonquin park next month.

7. Red-bellied Woodpecker - not common here in Ottawa, so my chances are not good unless I see one while visiting my folks in southern Ontario.

8. Carolina Wren- not common here in Ottawa, but does visit birdfeeders. Hopefully I'll come across one in the same conservation area that I saw it last fall.

9. Black-throated Green Warbler- also seen last year during fall migration; though I've heard them frequently this spring and summer, I haven't been able to see one.

10. Horned Grebe- saw one last year in November, hopefully I'll see one during this fall's waterfowl migration.

It looks like I should be able see about half of them during fall migration, but I'm becoming concerned that time may be running out to see our summer breeding birds (moorhen, wood thrush).

Is anyone else thinking about the birds they haven't seen yet this year?

Birds that should have been "easy", but which have eluded me so far this year, include Snow Goose (I'll have to wait until this winter), Forster's Tern, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, and Hermit Thrush.

Other birds which I have seen outside the state, but which I should have seen by now in Indiana, include Snowy Egret, Black-crowned Night Heron, and Common Moorhen.

Dave

Last edited:
I saw a black-throated green warbler this past weekend, so that's one down! (See my 2007 year list for the photo!)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back