• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID for old Opticron ED telescope, please (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

I have an old, black, rubber armoured Opticron telescope. Under the eyepiece mount it's labelled "Opticron High Resolution", and on both sides of the straight through prism housing are the labels, "Opticron ED". Around the focus knob are "60S D=60mm No. 22294", and on the end of the knob is "Japan". I bought it from a market stall about a decade ago without eyepiece, and it's now fitted with an SDL zoom using the external thread. (Thanks to InFocus at Martin Mere!) It will not take modern eyepieces apart from, I believe, the SDL. (Using the internal thread, it does take eyepieces from an old Opticron Mk II ED Piccolo telescope.)

The rubber armouring is ribbed. The focus action is very smooth, and the proper metal tripod socket plate has a 1/4" thread.

I've never seen any images in any Opticron brochures similar to my lucky purchase.

Thanks for any insight.

I have No. 22294, on mine there is a plate under the eyepiece connector that reads Opticron HR60R and I believe that is the model number. Can't give you a date as I got mine 2nd hand at an auction about ten years ago, mine has green armouring rather than black.

Hi Malcolm,

Does it look like the scope in the image attached? If so what did you want to know about it? This product has not been in any Opticron publications for a long time.

Attachments

• hr60.jpg
    hr60.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Yes, that looks very like my 'scope. As I picked it up from a market stall, without eyepiece, I was wondering how old it was. I have compared it with modern Opticron 'scopes, and decided that I'd stick with what I've got - even if the view is a little yellow in comparison with the latest.

Thanks for your reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back