• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Revamp (1 Viewer)

Bigshent

Biddulph Birder
I have a ES 80 GA ED and have recently thinking about upgrading but to be honest I have always thought the scope excellent for the pennies. The lens now does seen to lack some coating on it and has quite a few scratches ( very fine ) but not noticeable when looking through the eyepiece. Is it possible to get a new lense in it or have the existing one polished and coated. The last but not least what would be the cost :-C

Hi there,

Assuming you mean the end objective lens it would have to be replaced, as it's not possible to re-polish and re-coat the lens. The cost of replacing and fitting a new one would be around £237.00

If you wish to do this or find out anymore info you can call our service department on the number below, or email your enquiry to [email protected]

01582 726522 (Mon-Friday 0900-1600)

Best wishes
Rob

Last edited:
Cheers for the info Rob, the cost is more than I expected It may be worth saving a few more pennies perhaps for the latest model :t:

I have a ES 80 GA ED and have recently thinking about upgrading but to be honest I have always thought the scope excellent for the pennies. The lens now does seen to lack some coating on it and has quite a few scratches ( very fine ) but not noticeable when looking through the eyepiece. Is it possible to get a new lense in it or have the existing one polished and coated. The last but not least what would be the cost :-C

hi, out of curiosity, how long have you had your scope ?

The perceived wisdom here is that the objective lens has to be very badly scratched for it to interfere with the performance of the scope so I wouldn't bother replacing the lens.

True if its just scratches, although I think from what Bigshent said, the coatings seem to be coming off which would have an effect the overall image quality.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back