• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x42 EDG II - trouble cleaning lens surfaces? (1 Viewer)

garybnunn

I was wondering if anyone on the sub forum can comment on their experience with cleaning lens surfaces of Nikon 7x42 EDG II binoculars? I bought a pair about two months ago (SN 000241) and have not picked up my Swarokski 8.5x42 EL since! Thought I would never say that. The depth of field and color rendition is just amazing in these bins. Incredibly bright, you can practically bird in the dark!

Anyways, using bins every day I usually clean the lens surfaces carefully at least a couple times a week. Never had problems with the Swaros and Leica, but these Nikon lens surfaces retain grease or smear which seems unable to be removed? The user guide says use 100% alcohol so guess I will try that...

I called Nikon for guidance and they said send them in for service... not really a practical solution.

Are the lenses coated with what?

Gary Nunn,
San Diego
www.sandiegobirding.com

Residual Oil Remover (http://www.ror.net/ ) is very effective in my experience.
Mind you I'm paranoid about cleaning optics lenses, perhaps because I've seen too many that were loved to death by zealous cleaning.
Even my glasses just get gentle rinsing of the surfaces followed by a bit of soapy water, another rinse and soft cotton blotting.
When out in the field, I've adopted the 'wipe the oculars with your tongue' approach preconized by a BF veteran in another thread. Saliva has good grease cutting properties and there is nothing scratchy on the tongue.

I use warm water and a little soap mixed in with it. It seems to remove grease well. Then, I use water to remove the soap. Then, a soft cloth to remove the water. Doesn't leave any residue behind on the glass surface. Sometimes I have to repeat twice. I try not to field clean, and if I do, just by blowing on the glass.

Works for me..

CG

Most of the time I just use a propitiatory isopropanol based lens cleaning spray that I also use on my glasses but it can leave a residual smear occasionally. ROR sorts it out in an instant. I don't know what's in the stuff but it seems prudent to use it sparingly.

David

Last edited:
I don't know what grease is left, but I have found that the household window cleaners are effective (and used sparingly). They seem to be based on some kind of vinegar?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back