• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG 2 CA? (1 Viewer)

Tmblweed1

Can anyone comment on the amount of CA in these binoculars>? Is it so little that you won't notice when spotting a bird against a blue sky. I want to get a pair of refurbished. My previous Premier SE 10x42 were spectacular but the CA made them unusable for me.,Thanx

Last edited:
I have experience with the EDG models in 2 sizes, the 10x42 handles CA well in the center,
but you can force it near the edges when testing on high contrast subjects. This is similar
to other top HD binoculars. The Swarovision is similar, I have directly compared them.
You will not find any issues in normal use.

I also have the 10x42 SE, and it is very nice, but the EDG is better in many ways, better edges,
and brighter. The EDG model also has a wider 6.5 deg. FOV, and every bit of it is enjoyable.
The SE's FOV is 6 deg.

The Allbinos review of the 10x42 binoculars is a good resource on both of these mentioned along
with many others.

Jerry

I have experience with the EDG models in 2 sizes, the 10x42 handles CA well in the center,
but you can force it near the edges when testing on high contrast subjects. This is similar
to other top HD binoculars. The Swarovision is similar, I have directly compared them.
You will not find any issues in normal use.

I also have the 10x42 SE, and it is very nice, but the EDG is better in many ways, better edges,
and brighter. The EDG model also has a wider 6.5 deg. FOV, and every bit of it is enjoyable.
The SE's FOV is 6 deg.

The Allbinos review of the 10x42 binoculars is a good resource on both of these mentioned along
with many others.

Jerry

Thanks, I was hoping to hear this..

Can anyone comment on the amount of CA in these binoculars>? Is it so little that you won't notice when spotting a bird against a blue sky. I want to get a pair of refurbished. My previous Premier SE 10x42 were spectacular but the CA made them unusable for me.,Thanx

Tumbling, Tumbleweed,

You must be extra susceptible to CA, because I found the 10x42 SE to have low CA, and I'm susceptible, too. The Nikon 10x42 LX/HG had too much, the LXL even more. But like the 10x42 SE, the image was otherwise spectacular.

I tried Jerry's EDG I, which AFAIK, has the same optics as the EDG II. Nikon redesigned the body to keep from getting sued by Swaro, and there was also a defect in the focuser, causing the knob to come loose.

I compared the 10x42 EDG I to a 10x42 SE (not the latest version, which I later bought from Jerry). The overall view between the two bins, SE and EDG, was similar except for the 3-D effect, but the color saturation and contrast was better in the EDG due to the newer coatings and ED glass. And as Jerry mentioned, the EDG's FOV is noticeably wider.

To my eyes, the EDG I controlled CA even better than the SE in high contrast situations (birds perched on a power line against a gray sky background), however, there was still some CA on-axis. The best CA control in that EDG sample appeared not far off axis (toward the top) rather than on-axis.

The 10x42 SLC-HD did a better job of controlling CA than either the SE or EDG. I looked at birds on power lines, tree branches, etc. and I couldn't induce any CA on-axis or off axis until I got toward the edge. The only 10x bin that performed as well in this regard was the Celestron/Eagle Optics 10x42 Voyager ED I owned, and that was a porro, with no internal focusing lenses to add CA.

If you are really susceptible to CA, you might want to try the 10x42 SLC-HD. Ideally, compare it side by side with the EDG and see which one works better for you. The SLC has a "warm" (red) bias, so if you like the Nikon view, you probably will like the SLC-HD, too. Not quite as wide FOV (6.3*), but more "open" than the SE.

Regarding buying Nikons refurbished. Refurbs only come with a 90-day warranty. After that, repairs are out of your pocket.

Brock

Tumbling, Tumbleweed,

You must be extra susceptible to CA, because I found the 10x42 SE to have low CA, and I'm susceptible, too. The Nikon 10x42 LX/HG had too much, the LXL even more. But like the 10x42 SE, the image was otherwise spectacular.

I tried Jerry's EDG I, which AFAIK, has the same optics as the EDG II. Nikon redesigned the body to keep from getting sued by Swaro, and there was also a defect in the focuser, causing the knob to come loose.

I compared the 10x42 EDG I to a 10x42 SE (not the latest version, which I later bought from Jerry). The overall view between the two bins, SE and EDG, was similar except for the 3-D effect, but the color saturation and contrast was better in the EDG due to the newer coatings and ED glass. And as Jerry mentioned, the EDG's FOV is noticeably wider.

To my eyes, the EDG I controlled CA even better than the SE in high contrast situations (birds perched on a power line against a gray sky background), however, there was still some CA on-axis. The best CA control in that EDG sample appeared not far off axis (toward the top) rather than on-axis.

The 10x42 SLC-HD did a better job of controlling CA than either the SE or EDG. I looked at birds on power lines, tree branches, etc. and I couldn't induce any CA on-axis or off axis until I got toward the edge. The only 10x bin that performed as well in this regard was the Celestron/Eagle Optics 10x42 Voyager ED I owned, and that was a porro, with no internal focusing lenses to add CA.

If you are really susceptible to CA, you might want to try the 10x42 SLC-HD. Ideally, compare it side by side with the EDG and see which one works better for you. The SLC has a "warm" (red) bias, so if you like the Nikon view, you probably will like the SLC-HD, too. Not quite as wide FOV (6.3*), but more "open" than the SE.

Regarding buying Nikons refurbished. Refurbs only come with a 90-day warranty. After that, repairs are out of your pocket.

Brock

The CA was "massive" when looking at any object with a blue or gray sky as a background. Don't know why, but that was the case w/ those particular binos. Watching a great egret standing on shore the CA obscured 1/2 of the bird.

Tumbling, Tumbleweed,

Brock

I did look thru a pair of SLC HD at Bass Pro today...very nice! We have a Cabela's opening 1 mile away in 2 months, I'll wait and see.

I did look thru a pair of SLC HD at Bass Pro today...very nice! We have a Cabela's opening 1 mile away in 2 months, I'll wait and see.

Decided to order the EDG II's after all. If they work out the price can't be beaten. With a refurbished bino you have 1 tech doing them from start to finish, should be just fine.

Decided to order the EDG II's after all. If they work out the price can't be beaten. With a refurbished bino you have 1 tech doing them from start to finish, should be just fine.

I also think you made a good decision. ;)

The EDG is one of the best handful of binoculars available on the
market today.

Let us know how you like the EDG.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back