• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3-D and flat viewing (1 Viewer)

dries1

Enjoying these out in the sun today, I don't know what it is but using these HG/LX and EII /SE Porros, the view is very immersive and relaxing. Not bad for glass over 15 years old that if kept in great shape will provide many years of enjoyment.

A.W.

Last edited:
Nice little collection of Nikon's you got there. I'm not much of a porro guy, buy I'd gladly take a roof or two off your hands. ;)

So how's that Bushnell doing against the rest of the crowd? I'm enjoying mine quite a lot so far.

Nice little collection of Nikon's you got there. I'm not much of a porro guy, buy I'd gladly take a roof or two off your hands. ;)

So how's that Bushnell doing against the rest of the crowd? I'm enjoying mine quite a lot so far.

I'd say the Bushie is slaying it in that company! :king: it's the only one without ocular covers on, and thus is clearly favoured as the pick of the crop for use! o:D

Not surprising when the 'classic' Zen ED3 is your twin ....... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

The Bushnell is used for work primarily, I used to use the small 8X20 - but I prefer eyecups of a 32/42, the HG/LX fit my face perfectly,and the focus is sublime.

A.W.

I'd say the Bushie is slaying it in that company! :king: it's the only one without ocular covers on, and thus is clearly favoured as the pick of the crop for use! o:D

Not surprising when the 'classic' Zen ED3 is your twin ....... :smoke:

Hi, Chosun:

You're sleeping on the job. I posted a good male chauvinist joke a couple of days ago and you didn't offer so much as a slap in the head or a punch in the gut. I'm offended. But ... what Maljunulo says.;) :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Hi, Chosun:

You're sleeping on the job. I posted a good male chauvinist joke a couple of days ago and you didn't offer so much as a slap in the head or a punch in the gut. I'm offended. But ... what Maljunulo says.;) :cat:

Cheers,

Bill
G'day Bill,

You'll have to excuse me not being able to come out and play .... I've been super busy, and I'm afraid the day's events have left me rather snappy - I'd probably be better than even money to deck even a big buck kangaroo at the moment! :eek!: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=325659

I have had to suffer through the utter ignominy of the aesthetically dour, and glamourless season opener Australian F1 GP - devoid of beautiful, stylish grid girl models .... https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3695763#post3695763

On top of that, our Australian Cricket team, having been a bastion of integrity (1 underarm bowl brain explosion decades ago notwithstanding) , and keepers of the moral high ground in the face of British "bodyline", "lollygate" and Subcontinent ball tampering, not to mention match fixing, and racial vilification with "monkeygate" , have today forever more tarnished our entire country by cheating. It's a national disgrace. I am all at once both disgusted and furious.

This was a deliberate, premeditated act of complete un-Australian-ness. Compounded by a wishy washy confessional press conference along with obligatory deluded false apology, and a coach who was complicit as an accomplice after the fact. All this from a rising star of the game, purported to be the potentially the greatest since legend of world sport Sir Donald Bradman.

What the bl**dy hell has happened to the world. This is not right ...... :storm:
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...a-reacted-cameron-bancroftball-tampering/amp/

Apologies to the OP for going off track - I've started a dedicated thread here ..... https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=359033

Last edited:
G'day Bill,

You'll have to excuse me not being able to come out and play .... I've been super busy, and I'm afraid the day's events have left me rather snappy - I'd probably be better than even money to deck even a big buck kangaroo at the moment! :eek!: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=325659

I have had to suffer through the utter ignominy of the aesthetically dour, and glamourless season opener Australian F1 GP - devoid of beautiful, stylish grid girl models .... https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3695763#post3695763

On top of that, our Australian Cricket team, having been a bastion of integrity (1 underarm bowl brain explosion decades ago notwithstanding) , and keepers of the moral high ground in the face of British "bodyline", "lollygate" and Subcontinent ball tampering, not to mention match fixing, and racial vilification with "monkeygate" , have today forever more tarnished our entire country by cheating. It's a national disgrace. I am all at once both disgusted and furious.

This was a deliberate, premeditated act of complete un-Australian-ness. Compounded by a wishy washy confessional press conference along with obligatory deluded false apology, and a coach who was complicit as an accomplice after the fact. All this from a rising star of the game, purported to be the potentially the greatest since legend of world sport Sir Donald Bradman.

What the bl**dy hell has happened to the world. This is not right ...... :storm:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...a-reacted-cameron-bancroftball-tampering/amp/

“What the bl**dy hell has happened to the world. This is not right .....”

What has happened is that the “What’s in it for me/if it feels good—do it” faction has taken over. Emerson said, “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” But, hey, who is this R.W. Emerson cat?

Morality/integrity was once sanctioned for PRACTICAL reasons, if none other. But because of unbridled greed they have been largely forgotten. Today, people search desperately for the peace, harmony, and fulfillment in their lives that will never be theirs because of the thoughts and actions brought about by the lifestyles they have chosen. And what of the rest of us? We must either accept these people as “equals” or be labeled as “mean-spirited” or worse.

When I think about what happened to bring us out of the same situation 80 to 100 years ago, I just shutter at the cost in lives, suffering, destruction, and untold wealth. Attached is a photo of a pretty young lady who was once a truck driver and mechanic in her nation’s armed forces. Fortunately, we don’t call her house Buckingham Garage! :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.07.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.07.29 PM.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
“What the bl**dy hell has happened to the world. This is not right .....”

What has happened is that the “What’s in it for me/if it feels good—do it” faction has taken over. Emerson said, “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” But, hey, who is this R.W. Emerson cat?

Morality/integrity was once sanctioned for PRACTICAL reasons, if none other. But because of unbridled greed they have been largely forgotten. Today, people search desperately for the peace, harmony, and fulfillment in their lives that will never be theirs because of the thoughts and actions brought about by the lifestyles they have chosen. And what of the rest of us? We must either accept these people as “equals” or be labeled as “mean-spirited” or worse.

When I think about what happened to bring us out of the same situation 80 to 100 years ago, I just shutter at the cost in lives, suffering, destruction, and untold wealth. Attached is a photo of a pretty young lady who was once a truck driver and mechanic in her nation’s armed forces. Fortunately, we don’t call her house Buckingham Garage! :cat:

Bill
Couldn't agree more Bill. :t:

I've started a thread to deal with the fallout, and cop it on the chin, here .... https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=359033

Soz. Back to normal programming for the OP .....

I really need to look through a few other binos with field flatteners just to be sure, but one thing I recently noticed (and I wonder if this might be unique to me) in looking through my brother's 8.5x42 SV FP was a sensation of great apparent field of view - and I've looked through or owned binos that were pretty good in that department. My brother thought the field flatteners might account for this - giving the effect of a massive sweet spot. Anyone else have the same/similar perception?

NB. I do use porros and do find their view somewhat different to roof binoculars, but find it hard to pin down just what it is or why. I'd say it must be the effect of the distance between the two barrels. The so-called 3-d effect isn't as important to me as it appears to be to some, possibly because I don't observe over the shorter distances it's more apparent. I'd certainly like to look through a SE though!!

Last edited:
I really need to look through a few other binos with field flatteners just to be sure, but one thing...in looking through my brother's 8.5x42 SV FP was a sensation of great apparent field of view...My brother thought the field flatteners might account for this - giving the effect of a massive sweet spot. Anyone else have the same/similar perception?...

I do, with that same model, and with the Zen-Ray Prime/Leupold McKinley/Theron Questa optical system, which is also field-flattened (only the last is still manufrd., and linked here is a thread on it.) The flattened image to me feels wide, and immersive, but also somewhat "unnatural".

Enjoying these out in the sun today, I don't know what it is but using these HG/LX and EII /SE Porros, the view is very immersive and relaxing. Not bad for glass over 15 years old that if kept in great shape will provide many years of enjoyment.

A.W.

I've just become acquainted with the porro 3d effect on the EII I bought. It's really a very nice effect. I was wondering what are those porros on the far left?

I've just become acquainted with the porro 3d effect on the EII I bought. It's really a very nice effect. I was wondering what are those porros on the far left?

BC,

That Porro prism binocular shown at the far left in the first post is the legendary and now discontinued Nikon 8x32 SE.

Some people could not use it because it gave them a type of blackout known as "Kidney beaning" which means the blackout had the shape of a kidney bean. There is a technical term for it which I always forget.

Anyway, it can be avoided by using the binocular in this manner: Brace the top of the eye cup against your brow ridge just under your eye brows and very slightly tilt it upwards and it will disappear. This was named MOLCET by Brock. It is an acronym for Mooreorless Ceasars Eyebrow Technique because Steve Moore and yours truly used it independently of each other to defeat this peculiar black out.

You can learn something new here every day!:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Porros

BC,

Here is a pic of the 10X35 EII you were discussing s a possible alternative for a 10X, next to the SE 8X32 and your EII, the 10X42 SE is to the right. The second pic is the 10X35 EII next to the SE 8X32. The 10X35 is small in stature for a 10X porro.

Andy W.

Last edited:
BC,

That Porro prism binocular shown at the far left in the first post is the legendary and now discontinued Nikon 8x32 SE.

Some people could not use it because it gave them a type of blackout known as "Kidney beaning" which means the blackout had the shape of a kidney bean. There is a technical term for it which I always forget.

Anyway, it can be avoided by using the binocular in this manner: Brace the top of the eye cup against your brow ridge just under your eye brows and very slightly tilt it upwards and it will disappear. This was named MOLCET by Brock. It is an acronym for Mooreorless Ceasars Eyebrow Technique because Steve Moore and yours truly used it independently of each other to defeat this peculiar black out.

Bob

You might be thinking of "spherical aberration of the exit pupil," which is often associated with a "kidney bean" effect.

Ed

Attachments

• Spherical Aberration of Exit Pupil.jpg
    Spherical Aberration of Exit Pupil.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
BC,

Bob

Yes, what Bob said mooreorless, it works I still use it! :t: A simple thing, but it works.

I had never heard of MOLCET until a few weeks ago when reading binocular reviews on Amazon. And some really pissed off guy said something to the effect that there was no way he'd be forced to keep a binocular where he had to use MOLCET tech to use the dang thing. I think then I googled it or something but somewhere I found an explanation for the technique. It's funny how things from this site get around. When I came here I didn't know what an institution this place was. It's (birdforum) mentioned in a book I'm currently reading also.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back