• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated Diver or Great Northern Diver? (1 Viewer)

black throated diver i think due to the rounded head, and the beak isn't as massive as i would expect for a GN diver

Last edited:
I go against the flow im afraid.
I think the second one is GND and the first one probably is as well even though its showing a bit of neck and looking Black Throated.

I would say GND especially the second pic coz I can't see a prominent white flank patch which one would expect on a BTD but that could be the choppy water.

I would say this is a real oddball! Extent of dark coloration on ear-coverts suggests GND, but the demarcation between fore- and hind-neck seems to be straight line, without the pale indentation of GND. Head looks rounded in pic 1, flat-topped in pic 2. Pacific Diver/hybrid, anyone?

Probably GND based on those pics, but would like to see more.

Obvious barring on the back in the 2nd pic suggests it's a juvenile diver.

Whilst it doesn't show the kind of half collared effect often seen on GND the colour of the crown and nape look on the dark side for a BTD (usually greyer), and the dark on the 'face' comes down below the eye more in line with the bill which is better for GND, BTD tends to have a pale 'cheek' and a lot of white round under the eye.

Don't think you'd be able to see if it had a white patch at the rear of the flanks in those pics due to the sea state and angles.

Edited to add to MSA comments - Pacific should have a similar 'face' to BTD.

Last edited:
I would say this is a real oddball! Extent of dark coloration on ear-coverts suggests GND, but the demarcation between fore- and hind-neck seems to be straight line, without the pale indentation of GND. Head looks rounded in pic 1, flat-topped in pic 2. Pacific Diver/hybrid, anyone?

Don't think its an oddball Mark the bird facing slightly away giving the impression of the head and neck having more extensive dark areas than it actually has.

Also head shape changes with posture, GNDs head would never look as rounded as shown in first pic, but BTD can often look as 'moderately lumpy' as shown in 2nd pic.

Straightforward BTD for me. I have IDed divers confidently from greater distances than this so if was wrong I would be in serious s**t, also was studying a local GND only yesterday so its fresh in my mind.

Don't think its an oddball Mark the bird facing slightly away giving the impression of the head and neck having more extensive dark areas than it actually has.

Also head shape changes with posture, GNDs head would never look as rounded as shown in first pic, but BTD can often look as 'moderately lumpy' as shown in 2nd pic.

Straightforward BTD for me. I have IDed divers confidently from greater distances than this so if was wrong I would be in serious s**t, also was studying a local GND only yesterday so its fresh in my mind.

If pushed, I'd agree that on balance it has too many "non GND" features to be anything other than BTD to me - I'd be more confident with the bird in front of me than passing judgment over a couple of pics, though ;)

HELL i have just realised its not two birds at all but two shots of one bird. I must stop to read and not just crash on. looking at both photos again and listening to every thing said i still go for GND. I agree with Mark tho it would be easy resolved with a look through some bins.

In my (most humble) opinion - this is a 2nd cal winter GND - I'd see no problem with bill size at all - colour (what there is of it) appears fine. Most important (in my experience) is B-tD would have a much more extensive pale/white cheek - this bird (in both pics) shows non of that, showing a straight demarcation from gape and through the neck.
Just a point of view ;)

In my (most humble) opinion - this is a 2nd cal winter GND - I'd see no problem with bill size at all - colour (what there is of it) appears fine. Most important (in my experience) is B-tD would have a much more extensive pale/white cheek - this bird (in both pics) shows non of that, showing a straight demarcation from gape and through the neck.
Just a point of view ;)

Having just looked a breif look at your website I find very difficult to argue with a professional bird artist who lives in the orkneys (think there might be a few more GNDs around there than around Bolton aswell). Also other opinions from northern reaches think its a GND

Oh well, although not sure of identity looks like I have some correcting to do with my overconfident Ids from my seawatches. How people seperate these 2 with the distances involved on seawatches is mystery to me.

Retires to bed, after a cuppa with egg on face. ;)

Never liked seawatching anyway

Last edited:
drunk on a Monday night, typical french (was going to say frog but is that too offensive). Know the french are sensitive people

Is it Monday? Sh*t, I was hoping for the weekend sooner than that! Frog's not offensive, I say it to all the French and I'm still allowed to live here! Back to topic, I agree about divers while seawatching, not much sea around here luckily. One BT Diver on a boating lake and a few GNDs on UK reservoirs, it's a lot easier then!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back