• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Brendan the location you mention I think has great protential I usual walk along that shore line in autumn and must give it walk during the summer. Might even be there next Saturday.

The Black Redstart was found by Paul Troake and just mentions Silver Strand/Rusheen Bay. I don't think the Water Pipit was found there, but was found on the Oranmore side of the bay.

The Albatross I think was outside Irish territorial waters or should it relate to the fishing zones, if not the Spannish trawler maybe in a bit of trouble, which might raise a question or two relating to the original report of a 'little miles west of Galway bay'!!!;)o:D

Attachments

• DSC4717 070608.jpg
    DSC4717 070608.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC4738 070608.jpg
    DSC4738 070608.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC4816 080608.jpg
    DSC4816 080608.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN2289 070608.jpg
    DSCN2289 070608.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN2315 080608.jpg
    DSCN2315 080608.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 89
Hello All,

The 2nd Galway branch atlas count is on this sunday at 5 o clock. Everyone meets at Ballyloughan Beach car park. A very good way to meet people who regularly count and they are happy to show you their methods.

Great op for anyone interested in taking on a few squares. The atlas is a great cause and a super excuse for going birding- I use it all the time to skip out of things!

Must admit, that the atlas and its website are so easy to use and once you get going on it you will submit records all the time....

...so come along and bring a friend!

:t:

Just watched it there Tom. Good stuff.

White-tailed Eagle on the updated website sightings list now. Wonder if it could be the bird from Lough Corrib a while back.

Seen on Aran Islands. Some historical breeding records in the area mentioned in Gordon D'Arcy's Irelands Lost Birds on page 59. Maybe one day they'll be back out there to stay.

Great Photos of the Albatross.
Can surely be no arguement over the Species. Only thing left to decide is if we add it to the Galway list or not! ;)

Out and about this morning and went along the coast from Silver Strand towards Barna. Plenty of the usual suspect knocking around. At least two birds calling that I just did not know. Got to learn and get my ear in on some of these calls.

There are occasions when you get that magic moment through nature. Today is one of those days. While I was scanning some of the scrub I seen something flitting in the corner of my eye at first thought it was just a bumble bee on the ground until I seen it had a tail. It was a Pygmy Shrew. I never realised how small they are. Got some good video and pics of this guy. It put on a great display with in 1 metre of me. Left him alone and headed further down the beach came back the same way about an hour later and the Shrew was still feeding in the same place . Just brilliant.

Couple of video grabs attached

Attachments

• 20080614100549(1).jpg
    20080614100549(1).jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20080614100549(2)_edited-1.jpg
    20080614100549(2)_edited-1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 95
The Black Redstart was found by Paul Troake and just mentions Silver Strand/Rusheen Bay.

Hi Tom & Tom!
Yeah, the black redstart was around the rocky beach at the western corner of the car park. Didn't stick around long, though I recall it was early Nov & wheatear was also still present in the same spot.
Been keeping busy up here in Mayo, so only dropping in on this thread occasionally, but hope to be back down for a brief visit before the week's out...

Troakie

A few of a shots of the Sandmartins at Silver Strand and Dslr shot of the Pygmy Shrew.

Also upload a video clip of the Pygmy Shrew
http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/672/Pygmy_Shrew/

Troakie thanks for the info. Hope things are treating you well up there in the wilds of Mayo.

White Tailed Eagle tag number 1 seen in Galway on the 3 April now seen by Derek Charles at Clea Lakes, Co.Down.
http://www.birdsireland.com/pages/rare_bird_news/2008/june_photos.html

I see the Albatross is now being reported as been seen 100nm of Co. Clare. John looks like we won't be adding it to our county list.

Attachments

• DSC4847 140608.jpg
    DSC4847 140608.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC4844 140608.jpg
    DSC4844 140608.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC4849 140608.jpg
    DSC4849 140608.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC4836 140608.jpg
    DSC4836 140608.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hello All,

Galway Branch Atlas was very Quiet yesterday. Not too much to report. Merlin park woods was a huge disappointment.

Had a Cuckoo this morning outside Loughrea, and a ChiffChaff sitting on phone wire in the middle of the town calling away while the about 11 Swifts zipped around the sky overhead. Very Nice indeed. Just as well I was there to appreciate it as most other people in the town dont ever seen to care!

thats the way around these parts..........:t:

Very nice video of the Shrew Tom.

Heard 2 Grasshopper Warblers reeling in an overgrown field in Oughterard Sunday evening. Just outside the village on the road to Rossaveal.

Keep an eye out around the city. I almost had my head taken off by what appeared to me a med gull.

I only got a brief glimpse but Mike Davis tells me that there have been records of them here in the summer and he is pretty sure that there is one around.

:t:

John the last time I had a Mediterranean Gull was last August. If there is one around Michael or Tim are sure to find it.

Attachments

• DSCN a0701.jpg
    DSCN a0701.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 77
I went out to Omey Island near Cleggan yesterday.
Not much to report but a good spot. Gannets feeding close inshore. A farmer told me he'd heard Corncrake this year but I didn't hear any yesterday. It was raining and during the day though.
Skylark , Meadow Pipit Linnet and Stonechat in the hayfields.
If anyone is going there be careful of the tides which inundate the path out to the island across the strand. Luckily I didn't get stranded out there yesterday ;)

Also last Friday I saw and heard a pair of Jay in the wood just north of Moycullen on the road to Oughterard. Seemed to be territorial.

Tom could see you getting the boots of a wadding across.

Nearly had to do that last year, got total engrossed photographing the Forster's Tern in summer plumage last year on Claddagh Beach tide was rolling in, luck I check behind me to see about 50mm on water and made a haste retreat to the path.

Just up loaded a video clip of Great Crested Grebe at Menlo Pier
http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/691/Great_Crested_Grebe/

Attachments

• DSC00241 230608.jpg
    DSC00241 230608.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC4885 190608.jpg
    DSC4885 190608.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 76
There are worse things in life than being stranded on Omey. Apart from spring tides, you are only cut off for about an hour either side of high tide. I had a pleasant snooze on the grass in the sunshine for an hour. The worst part was the undignified wade back in underpants with boots tied around neck.

Not a pretty sight Brendan, the boots around your neck. Hope you enjoy your two weeks break. Must hook up with you and have a look at that new Nikon 5100 you splashed out on.

At Ballynahown this afternoon.
3 Storm Petrels, c.20 Manx Shearwaters, usual Terns. Also a few Gannets close in. Weather foul out there today. I just watched from the car.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back