• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

I am glad to see many new names to the forum!

Also gald to hear Rahasane being brought up .You almost forget about that little gem during the summer. I think its about time we paid it a visit and stirred something up.
Not too many birders around it this time of year. We could be missing all sorts of passage stuff.

:t:

Recieved one respose regarding the Great Crested Grebe from Niall Keogh
"I believe the grebes do this to add some sort of protective lining to the youngsters stomach. It helps against damage caused by fish bones etc."

Thanks to Niall for the reply.

There is always a possibility of reaching 200. The total for Galway is 282
164 todate leaving 36.
Listed below birds seen since 2005 total of 48 not seen this year.
Snow Bunting
Long-tailed Duck
Brambling
Slavonian Grebe
Spotted Redshank
American Golden Plover
Yellow-browed Warbler
Mourning Dove
White-rumped Sandpiper
Collared Pratincole
Red-rumped Swallow
Carrion Crow
Little Stint
Sabine's Gull
Turtle Dove
Pied Flycatcher
Reed Warbler
Long-billed Dowitcher
Barnacle Goose
Red-necked Grebe
Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Common Rosefinch
Pomarine Skua
Osprey
Smew
Leach's Petrel
Little Auk
Black Tern
Spotted Sandpiper
Laughing Gull
Goshawk
Hoopoe
Ferruginous Duck
Waxwing
Blue-winged Teal
Ring Ouzel
Franklin's Gull
Red-eyed Vireo
Red-backed Shrike
Cory's Shearwater
Tree Sparrow
Rose-coloured Starling
Gull-billed Tern
Killdeer
Goshawk
Ross' Gull

Pre 2005
Garganey
Goosander
Grey Phalarope
Firecrest
Wood Sandpiper
Roseate Tern
Lesser Whitethroat
Lapland Bunting
Nightjar

There is a possibility of another 60 based the overall county list and the list above if the overall total is 282
Anyone else wishes to add or make corrections please post

Last edited:
Hello Tom,
I heard that A.McGeehan had a Tree Pipit on Inishbofin last September. I can't confirm that but it came from a reliable source. He also had a Lesser Whitethroat which is in your pre 2005 list. The American Black Tern seen last year is a probable future split.

all the best

derek

As some of you are aware I am organising a pelagic off Slyne Head in August to see what's knocking about off the west coast at that time of year. Am looking for 10-12 brave souls to stomach some delightful chum and hopefully some nice views of whatever happens to be lurking out there. Cost should be somewhere in the region of 500 euro for the boat between us. Plan is to go 12-15 miles out and chum until we are all sick as small hospitals. Would be an early start - 6ish - and be back 2/3ish. No guarantees but possibilities are good views of large shearwaters, all four skuas, Sabines gull, European storm petrels and hopefully Wilsons petrel which amazingly has not yet been recorded in Co. Galway. If anyone is interested then e-mail me at [email protected] or text my mobile. Dates in August for charter boats are usually snapped up by fishermen fairly quickly so we would want to get our skates on and get sorted. ATB,
Aonghus.

Tom et al

Some species that have been recorded by myself and others out on Inishmore Island since 1998 include Turtle Dove (2 now?), Icterine Warbler (don't think this was submitted), Wood Warbler (2), Garden Warbler (several), Barred Warbler, Reed Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler (around 14 by my count so far), Lesser Whitethroat (3+), Red-breasted Flycatcher (2), Pied Flycatcher, Black Redstart, Common Redstart (sole county record?!), Whinchat, Red-eyed Vireo (2), Blackpoll Warbler and Lapland Bunting.
God knows what else could be turned up out there if more time was put in. A few days in late Sept & Oct by local birders would surely add a few additions to the county yearlist and probably 1 or 2 new additions for the county. The site has been completely ignored by birders in Galway. The longest period of time that I've been out there is only about 3 days. Its due a few good species of pipits, buntings and American waders and surefully some more Yank passerines also. I'm sure Inishbofin will done again by one of our Northern brothers this year and something tells me he won't be alone (not sure how well that will go down). Fanastic little spot, far more manageable than Inishmore.
I hope to do a few days out on Inishmore again in early October (got a bit distracted with the Clare Buff-bellied Pipit last Autumn;)).
I can't see the county yearlist exceeding 200 myself but with a bit of effort on the headlands and islands for passerines, wetlands for waders and some seawatching this Autumn you could prove me wrong!

Dermot

Well done to Aonghus for organising the pelagic. You got in ahead of me as I was making a few phone calls today trying to organise one of Inishbofin. This could still happen and would be arrange to spend time on the Pelagic then the other half of the day could be spent on Bofin. I will keep ye posted.
I have spent a bit of time on Bofin on holiday not really doing much birding. Will be going again this summer it is a beautiful island, ideal for unwinding.

Dermot with a bit of luck Anthony McGeehan et al will visit Galway with our northern brothers even Derek Charles and find a few more rarities. If we let Offally men find rarities sure we'd let anyone in, even a Westmeath man.;)

Derek thanks for the info I did not include the American Black Tern as it is a sub as you said could be split soon. As always it is important that people report their findings, just to let us lazy birders know whats out there. ;)

Last edited:
Am of the same opinion myself with regard to fresh fish. Will be getting plenty of mackerel and any other oily fish I can get my mitts on beforehand and will make mush of it, throw in a litre or more of cod liver oil and that should do it. 2 boxes of Rice Krispies should be plenty. Should be getting some DMS as well just to make sure we're smelled far and wide.

With regards to Chum lads- I don't know where you get your recipes. You should always use Crunchy Nut. They're tasty, tasty, very very tasty...they're very tasty.

Has anyone else noticed the recent sightings of Ring Billed Gulls on the Corus/ Ntl adverts?

I think a few of us should try to make a trip to Aran Islands and Inishboffin this autumn. Looks like we are miussing out on lots of good finds.

Most fishmongers will happily fill up a barrel with fish guts and heads and tails etc etc if you leave one with them.
Fish oil can be tough to get your hands on and expensive.
I find if you fill that barrel up with fish offal and then pour in plenty of cooking oil, give it a churn and leave it for a few days (with occaisional churning) you get a nice effect.

Also..forcing the contingent out on the lash the night before, pouring a few bottles of jaeger and after shock down their gullets, usually has a welcome effect on the boat the next day.......

Regards

Owen

13 Bar-tailed Godwit on Claddagh Beach this evening and 2 Wheatear (Juv) at Mutton Island Causeway.

Noticed the Ring-billed Gull on the ad (more foreign imports they could'nt get an Irish Common Gull for the part;))

Attachments

• DSC5170 100708.jpg
    DSC5170 100708.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC5187 100708.jpg
    DSC5187 100708.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 59
Thats about the only joy you ever get from NTL- sightings of Ring Billed Gulls.

Had a Perigrene over the Joyce roundabout at 7 this morning. Heading towards terryland.

13 Bar-tailed Godwit on Claddagh Beach this evening and 2 Wheatear (Juv) at Mutton Island Causeway.

Noticed the Ring-billed Gull on the ad (more foreign imports they could'nt get an Irish Common Gull for the part;))

Theres an orange billed tern in that add too if you look carefully...probably elegant. ;)

Owen

Rahasane Turlough

Had a quick look at Rahasane on Friday. The water level out there looks good for waders. Good numbers of duck including 3 Teal and a single Shoveler. On the wader front there were 2 European Golden Plover, 8 summer plumaged Black-tailed Godwits and an Oystercatcher. Stuff should start to turn from now.

Dermot

Had a quick look at Rahasane on Friday. The water level out there looks good for waders. Good numbers of duck including 3 Teal and a single Shoveler. On the wader front there were 2 European Golden Plover, 8 summer plumaged Black-tailed Godwits and an Oystercatcher. Stuff should start to turn from now.

Dermot

Dermot I assume you were on passage in summer plumage.

Hi all

Adult Med Gull at Nimmos/Claddagh this evening on fields/beach. Also Peregrine over the river/city, a couple of Stormies offshore & Little Tern.

Troakie

Paul,

Did you see the falcon in the evening or the morning? I would love to think that the Perigrenes living on the outskirts of the town are commuting to the city to feed on the wealth of pigeons. At least they don't have to deal with the traffic.:C

Had my own suspicions about a med gull in the area, thought I seen it a week or so ago.

Tom,
Did you check out the sandpipers at the bridge since?

Last edited:
I think its going to be a hard winter with a second birder (Troakie) now on passage moving south. So much for global warming.

Seen the Peregrine take a Juv duck at Nimmo's about 4 weeks ago. It flew across the the oil tanks while being mobbed by a few gulls and headed north.

John 3 Common Sandpipers were under the railway bridge at Lough Atalia on Sunday. I have not been there since. Having a little car trouble at the moment so I am not as mobile. However I am walking to work and heard 3 Whitethroats singing along the Dyke road this morning.

I think its going to be a hard winter with a second birder (Troakie) now on passage moving south.

Tom, it might be a hard winter in terms of finding all those rarities before I get to them - we've got a flat 5 mins walk from Nimmos, so all ye Nimmos regulars will have some competition ;)
John, my peregrine sighting was in the evening - as you say, drawn in by all the local pigeons I guess.

Troakie

Last edited:
Lots of waders starting to appear on transit. NS and I stopped off at kilcamin area on way from Rahasane on Saturday. Managed to find a spotted redshank but neither of us would confirm it due to lack of a good visual. Michael D was there on Sunday and confirmed the bird. Nice find for this time of year. Think I will pop down that area this week after slavery (I mean work).

Never know what might show up.

Anyone seen egrets around Galway recently?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back