• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on Classic Camera (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
I have a question, I have found out today that an old camera I own is a classic camera. In one of the online shops it sells for £650, I have been in touch with one of my local high street stores who have a classic camera section. I thought I may trade it in for a new digital, they said they would probably offer me around £150-200. Should I trade or should I try to sell privately they could make a possible 200% profit, any advise would be helpful. The shop that is selling one, is in London so can't just take it in.

Try selling it on EBAY. You can put a Reserve on it so that it will only sell once it receives a high enough bid. I sold a scope on there a few years ago and got over £100 more than what I had been offered as trade-in.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
Try selling it on EBAY. You can put a Reserve on it so that it will only sell once it receives a high enough bid. I sold a scope on there a few years ago and got over £100 more than what I had been offered as trade-in.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Unfortunately I havn't sold anything on ebay before, I did try once to put something for sale and because it was my first sale, I couldn't put a reserve, so never tried again.

Christine

Saphire, you don't say what sort of classic camera it is? doe's it use roll film, & produce 6x6 negs? & fold up when not in use? is it an old wooden field camera
made from rosewood? i only ask as these are the type that would comand the price you qoute, if so go for a private sale and get the full price, thats my advice, good luck.
bert.

If the camera is for sale in other outlets for £650 then I'd be inclined not to sell it for less than at least £500! - even then that's still an awful big mark-up.

If your eBay profile is low then try selling a few other items first in order to build it up a bit. I guess I'd be inclined to hang onto the camera until you can get a reasonable price for it. By reasonable I mean whatever you'd be happy for the price - be aware though that camera shops seldom offer anything like the true market value - after all they are after making as much profit as they can!

It might pay to contact different dealers. Have a look in Amateur Photographer and give one or two a call. If they happen to have someone looking for your camera they might be inclined to offer you more. Some dealers will sell items on a commission basis and give you more than you would get a a straight sale. Alternatively you could put it up for sale in the classified ads and keep all the proceeds yourself!

BTW What camera are you selling?

AndyC

bert said:
Saphire, you don't say what sort of classic camera it is? doe's it use roll film, & produce 6x6 negs? & fold up when not in use? is it an old wooden field camera
made from rosewood? i only ask as these are the type that would comand the price you qoute, if so go for a private sale and get the full price, thats my advice, good luck.
bert.

It is a Voiglander BESSA II. It is in pristine condition

www.clocktowercameras.co.uk/inventory/inventory_collectibles.htm

Christne

Last edited:
If you phone Mrs Pat Moffat of Paul Moffat Cameras, Baxter Gate, Loughborough, on 01509 263508, she might be interested as they do deal in some classic cameras and they have always offered me an excellent price for part-exchange.

Regarding mark up - before being critical, always remember that a shop owner has to a) put the cash up front b) add 17.5% VAT c) offer a (potentially very costly!) guarantee and d) risk not getting any return at all for an undefined amount of time, sometimes not at all. The suggested £150-00 mark up on a selling price of £650-00 is quite simply far too small (the VAT alone is £113-75).

Last edited:
scampo said:
If you phone Mrs Pat Moffat of Paul Moffat Cameras, Baxter Gate, Loughborough, on 01509 263508, she might be interested as they do deal in some classic cameras and they have always offered me an excellent price for part-exchange.

Regarding mark up - before being critical, always remember that a shop owner has to a) put the cash up front b) add 17.5% VAT c) offer a (potentially very costly!) guarantee and d) risk not getting any return at all for an undefined amount of time, sometimes not at all. The suggested £150-00 mark up on a selling price of £650-00 is quite simply far too small (the VAT alone is £113-75).

Thanks Steve I will give them a call.

I was only thinking I may be silly to go for the first offer. I would prefer to trade rather than just sell, you always tend to get a better deal. Just wasn't sure whether they maybe just trying to get it as cheap as possible, but like you say by the time they put on VAT and Guarantees, and not being able to sell. It could be a fair deal.

Christine

I think you should try eBay, putting in a minimum price. I've never sold through eBay myself, but can't think that it can be so very difficult. I've bought from folks with no "history", too - so, again, don't see why you shouldn't be able to sell easily. It would be good to have a PayPal account, though, first as that makes payment faster and more secure.

Other thoughts - contact your local photographic society or a local auction house?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I have been in touch with quite a few places including Christie's Auctions they gave an estimated Auction value from 200-300 but could, go for more.
I have finaly come to a decision. I am going to go for the first offer of £200 from the Classic department of my high street store and do a trade. It turns out its not a bad deal.

Thanks again for your help

Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back