• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron in Fflorida (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I didn't take these pictures. They were posted on Facebook asking me to id. the bird. I don't have lot of details but am 90% sure that they were taken in Florida recently. My first thought was Great Blue Heron with a bad exposure or trick of the light but looking at it Gray Heron definitely comes to my mind. I'm trying to get more details.

Attachments

• Donna.jpg
    Donna.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 92
More detail

More information. This was seen at the junction of Salt Springs Run and Lake George. That would still be in Marion Co' and in the Ocala National Forest.

The two species are quite similar. Some differences are described here: https://frank.itlab.us/TBL/Harvesting/Herons/Birding0202p24-33.pdf

I don't think 100% confidence is possible from this photo. There have been reports of vagrant Grey Heron on the "wrong" side of the Atlantic, though I don't think there have been any in Florida.

But there's nothing in the photo, that I can see, that would make me question the more likely scenario: it's a Great Blue Heron.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back