• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Widowed bluebird (1 Viewer)

Hello. I’m new to this forum and look forward to learning from those who have more experience. I had a nesting pair of bluebirds which hatched five young. The female disappeared when the hatchlings were about three days old. The male has been faithful to feed the young and I have been supplementing him with mealworms. He seems to depend on this. Although he’s better at feeding than removing fecal sacks, they should be ready to fledge next week. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Linda and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Sorry to hear that your female has disappeared. Unfortunately it is fairly common, for any number of reasons... predation, cats, an unfortunate accident or illness. You're doing the right thing by supporting the male with mealworms, this will help him to feed himself, easily and quickly, before going off in search of food for the young ones.

I hope it all works out - please let us know what happens.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the mother bird, glad dad is still around.

Baby bluebirds fledged

Well, he did it! My single BB dad successfully fed and cared for 5 hatchlings and yesterday (6/8/20) they all fledged! o:D He wasn’t much of a housekeeper or diaper changer but kept focused on the main thing. I’ve seen him at the mealworm feeder a couple of times today. Dare I hope he’ll bring the babies with him one day?

WOW!!! That's wonderful news Linda!!!

You've obviously been doing a great job with helping him too. Many thanks for letting us know the outcome lass. Much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back