• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2020 (1 Viewer)

Shame Gordon is only here for one week but then also enjoyed Steve from the Thames last week.

Overall enjoying the compromised format.

I'm enjoying it also ,but got to say that as a presenter Gordon makes a good camera man , he is more stilted that Gillian in her first series, although she has improved immeasurably since then so there is still hope!!

Cheers

In that particular case I think no, I think it was the audible warbling that you get listening to GHB on a heterodyne bat detector (which is well worth a listen for anyone who's never heard it). I couldn't hear it very well though, probably too much talking over it.

However, the other day (prior to Friday) I did think I could hear Bee-eaters on Springwatch, just can't remember which segment it was in. I was mightily puzzled but assumed it was me, not them....

John

John I too heard Bee-eaters in on clip earlier in the week & I think it was either a clip from Somerset or Cornwall.

Tonight's episode had an excellent segment on how to distinguish dragonflies and damselflies. And I know she's an experienced presenter, but this experience really came through in Ellie Harrison's bits, definitely a pro.

Tonight's episode had an excellent segment on how to distinguish dragonflies and damselflies. And I know she's an experienced presenter, but this experience really came through in Ellie Harrison's bits, definitely a pro.

I agree I like Ellie's presenting skills on BBC Countryfile.

I enjoyed the film of The Long Tailed Tits last night was sad about The female Blackcap but it was great the chicks all fled successfully.

Another fine offering tonight, and it sounds like they are going to keep smashing it out tomorrow instead of finishing with a lame round-up of best bits.

Goshawk...… corrrr! Of course, when Chris says phantom of the forest, he must mean the F-4 Phantom II's thirty tons of screaming death, not some insipid wafty ectoplasm going wooooooh!

Well done Springwatch team. Excellent job.

John

Last edited:
I've preferred the way we see each presenter in their own area and Michaela Strachan hasn't been missed at all. C-19 has done this programme a favour. :t:

I've preferred the way we see each presenter in their own area and Michaela Strachan hasn't been missed at all. C-19 has done this programme a favour. :t:

Couldn't agree more. I'd more or less given up on the various "Watches", but circumstances have necessitated changes, all of which have been for the better in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens with the programme when (if?) the world gets back to normal.

Malcolm

The thing that struck me was that with the BBC facing extensive budget cuts, the way this programme was put together showed that it's possible to keep them on the air and save a lot of money.

When you look at earlier years and see the big camps they'd set up full of technicians, producers and other staff, all the cabling and cameras and sound equipment and generators and electricity consumption, all the gazebos and the caravans and the accommodation for all the staff, and possible payment to the venue for hosting them, then this year shows it's possible to present the programme on a much slimmer budget without losing anything from the programme.

There are still technical staff behind the scenes but I've seen photos of producers sitting at home doing the job, and they seem to have done it well.

Enjoyed this changed format of Springwatch. All the presenters came across well. I wonder whether they will stay with this regionalised format for presenters in the future. Great to see Long eared owl represented. Not rare, but so incredibly elusive.

Si.

Really enjoyed the new format it worked really well yes think this was better with the presenters in their home turf. When lockdown eases think it be a great opportunity in Autumnwatch & Winterwatch when the presenters can travel and have their own base there is one in Scotland, Ireland and other parts in the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back