• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

water bird - dark, short heron type - Philadelphia canal (1 Viewer)

Hi! Today in Philadelphia, along the canal in Manyunk, I saw a wading water bird, with long legs, and a head like a heron's. He was much shorter than a heron, (like someone squashed a heron's body down to 1/3 the size but left the head size) and dark, with a purple head, and long, thin white stripes down the neck, and a delicate, white scalloped pattern on the wing. I can't find this character in my bird identification books (I'm a newbie birder, too). His legs looked like a european moorhen or coot's long legs.

I took a pic of him, but it was with my camera phone, so it's crap. I include it nevertheless. (It's sideways, too - sorry - I can't seem to turn it round permanently)

Anyone who can identify, much appreciated!

/also saw an amazing great blue heron, both wading and in flight. Awesome.

Attachments

• Image321.jpg
    Image321.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 126
Hi! Today in Philadelphia, along the canal in Manyunk, I saw a wading water bird, with long legs, and a head like a heron's. He was much shorter than a heron, (like someone squashed a heron's body down to 1/3 the size but left the head size) and dark, with a purple head, and long, thin white stripes down the neck, and a delicate, white scalloped pattern on the wing. I can't find this character in my bird identification books (I'm a newbie birder, too). His legs looked like a european moorhen or coot's long legs.

I took a pic of him, but it was with my camera phone, so it's crap. I include it nevertheless. (It's sideways, too - sorry - I can't seem to turn it round permanently)

Anyone who can identify, much appreciated!

/also saw an amazing great blue heron, both wading and in flight. Awesome.

Check out Green Heron (sometimes called Green-backed Heron.

CHEERS, JOE G

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back