• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (4 Viewers)

So what are you doing differently that lets you do that where others (experienced SX50 users) are struggling and giving up?

Can't honestly remember the last time I took a shot using the SX50 that wasn't at full zoom with 2x converter (this is my default setting on start up)! With BIF, I differ in that I use the 'sports' mode (not that it improves things by much).

Cheers,

AndyM

So what are you doing differently that lets you do that where others (experienced SX50 users) are struggling and giving up?

I honestly don't know! Moved to the 60 from the 40 (never liked the 50 because of the shockingly bad evf) and never had any problems with it from the off

I just got the camera today. Shot some 170 pictures mostly AF. Did try the manual focus and leafed through the manual.

Since this is the main thread for the camera, I have to ask here:
What is the dial that is between the shutter and the shooting mode clearly marked dial?
http://www.gizmobeat.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/sx60-hs.jpg
It has no markings, does turn but does not seem to do anything.

It looks similar to the dial on the viewfier that I use to set the viewfinder for my eye.

I just got the camera today. Shot some 170 pictures mostly AF. Did try the manual focus and leafed through the manual.

Since this is the main thread for the camera, I have to ask here:
What is the dial that is between the shutter and the shooting mode clearly marked dial?
http://www.gizmobeat.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/sx60-hs.jpg
It has no markings, does turn but does not seem to do anything.

It looks similar to the dial on the viewfier that I use to set the viewfinder for my eye.
On page 106 of the manual is the only reference to this dial, which oddly I've never used. Apparently it's to thumb-through images on the camera.

Actually, I found a use. When you have a menu open for a particular mode, and there is a green half circle at the bottom, this dial behind the shutter is used to select whatever it shows with a scale. For example shutter speed.

Actually, I found a use. When you have a menu open for a particular mode, and there is a green half circle at the bottom, this dial behind the shutter is used to select whatever it shows with a scale. For example shutter speed.
Oh yeah, duh. Was trying to answer from work without the camera in front of me and the photo from the front threw me off. Yeah I do use that one all the time since I shoot in Shutter Priority and mess with shutter speed all the time. Good for quick fiddling with EV too.

For some reason was thinking of another camera where that dial is in front of the mode button.

The instruction manual apparently doesn't do good job of letting you look that button up easily.

This is what happens trying to be helpful with a mild headache...sorry about that.

The manual has a name for it with "lens" as part.

It was confusing in that in Auto mode you can never find out what it does.

Some recent photos:

Photos are shot in:
  • high-resolution JPEG, minimum compression
  • -2/3 EV
  • various shutter speeds (usually around 1/650)
  • Shutter priority mode

Post-processing in Photoshop using the following filters/plugins in this order:
  1. Adobe Camera RAW
  2. Topaz DeNoise
  3. Topaz Clarity (usually "Fur & Feathers I" preset)

Typical workflow on a keeper photo (after pre-sort in Adobe Bridge) is:
  1. Open JPEG and save to PSD
  2. Covert base layer to Smart Object
  3. Apply Camera RAW adjustments
  4. Pre-crop image of any elements I don't want, to center/align subject, and otherwise pre-compose the image
  5. Re-size (scale) image
  6. Apply Topaz DeNoise on image if needed
  7. Apply Topaz Clarity (note that I do not use Clarity in the Adobe Camera RAW filter, nor do I use any Sharpen filters, Topaz Clarity does this so much better)
  8. Final crop to meet 1024x900 BirdForum requirements
  9. Use Legacy Export and adjust JPEG settings to come in under 500 MB file size maximum

Other info:
  • Percentage of reduction is usually 25%, 33%, or 50% of original size; these fixed percentages make it easier to remove sensor noise if needed
  • Photoshop filters applied using Smart Object layers.
  • I use RAW under very specific circumstances, none of these started as RAW.
  • I use flash under rare circumstances, and a "better beamer" under even more limited circumstances (and none of these use either)

Last edited:
Could you post a "raw" version of some of these images? I always wonder how much the post-processing adds to the final result.

Could you post a "raw" version of some of these images? I always wonder how much the post-processing adds to the final result.
I agree, I should because I've posted photos to my gallery that looked quite bad off the camera but were reasonably salvageable. And some were simply "better" because I routinely use post-processing.

I'll try to look for examples. I've been meaning to do this for a while, so it may yet be a while again, but I'll try to keep it top of mind. :t:

It should be noted too that even professional photographers with the fanciest gear often post-process. I've seen lovely photos in the galleries here on nice gear that my eye says could have been a bit better with a little nudge. I've seen photos in the galleries that needed severe help, but realized they could have been alot nicer in skilled hands.

So post-process is not evil or cheating; but I will agree that most small sensors cameras "need" post-processing (and clever camera setup) to get really good photos. DSLR vs. an SX60 in the same hands with similar settings will simply be better (or at least more salvageable) from the DSLR all things being equal. That's just the tradeoff when using inferior optics and sensors; is what it is.

those are great shots kevin,i particularly like the first shot of the shovelars,
stonechat at 147mm with the converter on

Attachments

• stonechat791.JPG
    stonechat791.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 256
These aren't my best examples of before-and-after, and they still use a couple tricks, but these show the effect of using filters like Camera RAW adjustments, denoise, and sharpening.

Also, these two examples didn't need as much "help" as some of my photos.

I'll get better examples in the future.

1. Ducks & Avocets: Before
  2. Ducks & Avocets: After
  3. Say's Phoebe: Before
  4. Say's Phoebe: After

You'll note some slight color differences, and to me those are acceptable because they are the colors I saw, not the flatter colors from the camera.

Attachments

• 170212_MLKJRS_NorthernShovelers_AmericanAvocet_before.jpg
    170212_MLKJRS_NorthernShovelers_AmericanAvocet_before.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 170212_MLKJRS_NorthernShovelers_AmericanAvocet_bf.jpg
    170212_MLKJRS_NorthernShovelers_AmericanAvocet_bf.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 170212_MLKJRS_SaysPhoebe_before.jpg
    170212_MLKJRS_SaysPhoebe_before.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 329
  • 170212_MLKJRS_SaysPhoebe_bf.jpg
    170212_MLKJRS_SaysPhoebe_bf.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 297
Here are some bit better examples, which show the rescuing of photos from the muddy shadows:

1. Red-Winged Blackbird: Before
  2. Red-Winged Blackbird: After
  3. Ruby-Crowned Kinglet: Before
  4. Ruby-Crowned Kinglet: After

On the blackbird, pay close attention to the chest and body feathers which go from being muddy to having a bit more detail.

The Kinglet was a great save for me...good details available and the lighting didn't look flat or artificial; the lighting was early morning and a bit hazy.

Attachments

• 170112_Redding_RedWingedBlackbird_bf_before.jpg
    170112_Redding_RedWingedBlackbird_bf_before.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 170112_Redding_RedWingedBlackbird_bf.jpg
    170112_Redding_RedWingedBlackbird_bf.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 170112_Redding_RubyCrownedKinglet_bf_before.jpg
    170112_Redding_RubyCrownedKinglet_bf_before.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 170112_Redding_RubyCrownedKinglet_bf.jpg
    170112_Redding_RubyCrownedKinglet_bf.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 303
Thanks.

The 2nd set of photos show clear improvement after PP. The first one... I like the out of camera Ducks & Avocets better :) The Say's Phoebe has a nicer background after PP (denoising?).

The first one... I like the out of camera Ducks & Avocets better :)
Hey, that's fine by me. :t:

That's the "art" part of photography and what the mind's eye of the photographer sees. I generally have two goals in mind duding PP:

1. Restore the color, contrast, and overall lighting back to what I saw in the field. Either because of the camera, or because of my settings, the images straight off the camera are often a little flat and dull. I'm sure the -2/3 EV plays a part here, as does the small sensor and limited aperture at zoom.
  2. Show off the details as long as it doesn't affect the depth/contrast/curve of the photo, and it doesn't look artificial. It's a balance between seeing feather details and looking like I tried to use an electron microscope. :eek!: But I do shoot high shutter speeds to capture details, so not going to waste it.

Basically I try to never induce to the photo that which wasn't already there when I took the photos. I'm only trying to compensate for the deficiencies of the camera and my own photography skills. |:D|

Last edited:
first decent pics I have managed to get of a grey wagtail

Attachments

• grey wagtail.JPG
    grey wagtail.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 221
  • grey wagtail 2.JPG
    grey wagtail 2.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 232

Users who are viewing this thread

Back