• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which albatross? Kaikoura NZ (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

My first ever albatross from holiday video stills in Kaikoura, South Island NZ in February. Hopefully enough blurred views might give someone a clue for me!

Attachments

• alba1b.jpg
    alba1b.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 91
  • alba1c.jpg
    alba1c.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 83
  • alba1d.jpg
    alba1d.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 49
  • alba1a.jpg
    alba1a.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 64
Did I ammend my post after you replied, sorry, I agree with you.

Photos 2-4 suggest there's a black upper cutting edge to the bill. This would make it Amsterdam according to this:

Extra-limital Tristan albatross and Amsterdam albatross have the same plumage states as Antipodean albatross, though Amsterdam albatross has a dark cutting edge to the upper mandible​
http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/wandering-albatross​

However, I don't think we can be confident that this is a real feature rather than an artefact, and the same page suggests Amsterdam is extra-limital. So I'd say "wandering" meaning wandering / snowy or Antipodean. [Edit: forgot to say, as well as the tail, I think white spreading patch at the central base of the wing points to this sp. rather than Royal]

Photos 2-4 suggest there's a black upper cutting edge to the bill. This would make it Amsterdam according to this:

Extra-limital Tristan albatross and Amsterdam albatross have the same plumage states as Antipodean albatross, though Amsterdam albatross has a dark cutting edge to the upper mandible​
http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/wandering-albatross​

However, I don't think we can be confident that this is a real feature rather than an artefact, and the same page suggests Amsterdam is extra-limital. So I'd say "wandering" meaning wandering / snowy or Antipodean. [Edit: forgot to say, as well as the tail, I think white spreading patch at the central base of the wing points to this sp. rather than Royal]

You'll note that I mentioned the Southern form of Royal, it shows a very similar patch.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/152241866@N05/48616677822/

Last edited:
Wing pattern all wrong for South Royal Albatross. Certainly not an Amsterdam or Antipodean.

See no reason why it is not a Wandering (Snowy) Albatross

Cheers

Alan

Further to 'My first albatross'

You've now moved into my next question re. race. I purposely showed pics 2 and 3 in particular because it does seem to show a dark cutting edge which this later bird sitting on water does not show. The Royals have that black edge but as Andy and I thought, the black on tail of my original bird stops it being Royal (we think!)

Attachments

• alba2a.jpg
    alba2a.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 44
Just found a sheet of paper given out by our boat driver/guide and he ticks it as Diomedea exulans gibsoni (with no ticks next to 'antipodensis'). Verbally he called it "Wandering" but searching through Avibase and Birdforum Opus plus Handbook of Birds of the World Alive I find that 'gibsoni' is either a species of its own or subspecies of 'antipodensis'. 'Wandering' now seems limited to South Atlantic and 'Snowy' is just another name for 'Wandering', which according to IOC's BOW list exists everywhere EXCEPT NZ! Any thoughts gratfully accepted!

Wandering' now seems limited to South Atlantic and 'Snowy' is just another name for 'Wandering', which according to IOC's BOW list exists everywhere EXCEPT NZ! Any thoughts gratfully accepted!
The IOC list only lists breeding ranges - Wandering regularly do complete circuits of the Southern Ocean when not breeding.

Thanks for that...good to know. So, are my first birds and the added bird Wandering albatross 'exulans' or Gibson's 'gibsoni' or Antipodean 'antipodensis gibsoni' subspecies? Complicated, eh!

Wing pattern all wrong for South Royal Albatross. Certainly not an Amsterdam or Antipodean.

See no reason why it is not a Wandering (Snowy) Albatross

Cheers

Alan

Could you elaborate and explain why Amsterdam and Antipodean are out of the picture? My impression is that the commonest there would be Antipodean

[Edit:i.e.taking Gibson's/Antipodean as one thing; presume more or less indistinguishable..?]

Last edited:
According to Handbook of Birds of the World Alive and the IOC list Gibson's is a subspecies of antipodensis whereas Avibase has Gibson's as a separate species.

You have a Gibsons's albatross here.

It's not either the 2 Royals due to the black tail, the white patches in the wings and the lack of a clear dark cutting edge of the bill. Some birds in the wandering albatross complex can show a dark cutting edge due to a shadow in the photo and some of the birds in NZ do have a subtle dark cutting edge but not like either of the Royals.

Its not an exulans as the structure of the bird is to compact and the bill to stubby. Antipodensis would have a dark cap and chest band.

I can post some photos from Australia as examples if anyone is interested.

Rob

You have a Gibsons's albatross here.

It's not either the 2 Royals due to the black tail, the white patches in the wings and the lack of a clear dark cutting edge of the bill. Some birds in the wandering albatross complex can show a dark cutting edge due to a shadow in the photo and some of the birds in NZ do have a subtle dark cutting edge but not like either of the Royals.

Its not an exulans as the structure of the bird is to compact and the bill to stubby. Antipodensis would have a dark cap and chest band.

I can post some photos from Australia as examples if anyone is interested.

Rob

Rob is there a good web resource with details of how to separate these 3+ forms (3+ if we include Amsterdam etc)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back