• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alta sky 66 or lowepro lens trekker 600? (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hello guys, I have a canon 300mm f2.8 on a 7d Mk 2 + 2x extender, I do have the 1st lens trekker from lowepro, but it don’t have straps for attaching a monopod. The lens trekker 600 iii does have a monopod attachment but is a bit too big for my setup, however I’ve just seen the Alta sky 66 which also has monopod attachment capabilities, would the Alta sky be a better bag for my setup. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated

Regards & keep safe & make sure you keep 2 metres between you & the wildlife!!, lol

Sean

Hello guys, I have a canon 300mm f2.8 on a 7d Mk 2 + 2x extender, I do have the 1st lens trekker from lowepro, but it don’t have straps for attaching a monopod. The lens trekker 600 iii does have a monopod attachment but is a bit too big for my setup, however I’ve just seen the Alta sky 66 which also has monopod attachment capabilities, would the Alta sky be a better bag for my setup. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated

Regards & keep safe & make sure you keep 2 metres between you & the wildlife!!, lol

Sean

Hi Sean.

Those are both huge bags to carry the quoted equipment around with, and I don't have experience with either.
I used your set up for many years as my preferred set up, both with the 7D and 7D2.

I used to carry Body and Lens attached but with hood reversed and a 2X separate + many other items if required in a Lowepro mini trekker which is just a fraction of the size and cost and it does the job really well.

Is it necessary to have everything assembled in the bag? I don't buy into the thought that you can just access the camera instantly and shoot.

You would take considerable time just to get one of those huge bags off your back opened and ready to shoot. It would only take slightly longer to set up fully with the smaller bag. In all the time I used that set up I don't recall a problem.

Another bonus with the smaller bag is that it qualifies as walk on luggage for aircraft which I still use it for if I don't take a 500 with me.

300 2.8 is really the max that this bag will take.

I don't use a monopod with that set up so it would need consideration and may be a deal breaker.

Just my experience and IMHO worth considering.
Stay safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back