• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damaged Zeiss Conquest 10x42.. (1 Viewer)

johnbaz

Hi all

I collect airguns and a friend wanted to trade for these Binoculars, I ended up giving him two rifles, Around £600 in value..

The binoculars are damaged on the extension tube for the eyepiece (Split that he tried glueing!), After a day or two the messy failed repair was really getting to me so I asked if we could trade back, He was more than happy to as he's left handed and one of the rifles is a dedicated right hand type..

Some time after I found out online that there's a repair centre here in the UK and that I could have probably got the damaged extension repklaced! :-C

I think I could still do the trade for other rifles, Has anyone had experience of sending bins in for repair, Also, Any idea how much the cost would be?

Cheers, John

Attachments

• c15vH8b.jpg
    c15vH8b.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 88
  • bdtwqhD.jpg
    bdtwqhD.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 95
  • haq8CM7.jpg
    haq8CM7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 53
  • tmSo6gb.jpg
    tmSo6gb.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
  • US6PJgs.jpg
    US6PJgs.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 136
It looks to me as though only the removable eyepiece is damaged. You should be able to unscrew it from the housing and screw in a new one. Zeiss would likely send one at no charge

John

Just to correct some terminology, what you have there is a broken eyecup, not an eyepiece. The eyepiece is the assembly of lenses inside the barrel just under the eyecup. You don't need to send the binos anywhere as the eyecup unscrews from the tube and you can screw in a new one. Just ask Gary at East Coast Bino Repairs and he will send you a pair.

Lee

Last edited:
John

Just to correct some terminology, what you have there is a broken eyecup, not an eyepiece. The eyepiece is the assembly of lenses inside the barrel just under the eyecup. You don't need to send the binos anywhere as the eyecup unscrews from the tube and you can screw in a new one. Just ask Gary at East Coast Bino Repairs and he will send you a pair.

Lee

Well done Lee.....another satisfied customer.

Just on that point though, I had new eye cups myself back in February on your recommendation (thank you). Is there any way you can loosen the way it extends as they are so stiff that I keep unscrewing them, even though I've tried to lubricate them slightly....they still unscrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Lee.....another satisfied customer.

Just on that point though, I had new eye cups myself back in February on your recommendation (thank you). Is there any way you can loosen the way it extends as they are so stiff that I keep unscrewing them, even though I've tried to lubricate them slightly....they still unscrew.

Hi Ian

I have heard of this difficulty but only met with it myself very recently. The best person to give advice on this is Gary at http://binocular-repair.co.uk/ .

My solution was to put on some heavy rubber coated gardening gloves (clean ones not covered in soil and detritus) and stick two fingers up the centre of the eyecup from underneath. By spreading my fingers I could, just, keep the internal cylinder from rotating, and then scew and unscrew the outer cylinder so that it moved up and down as if you were moving repeatedly from spectacle-wearer's position to non-spec position, and back again over and over. This loosened up the eyecup after a few minutes and it was OK on the bins. I am not sure if this would work with every eyecup so I recommend asking Gary for the best advice.

Lee

Hi Ian

I have heard of this difficulty but only met with it myself very recently. The best person to give advice on this is Gary at http://binocular-repair.co.uk/ .

My solution was to put on some heavy rubber coated gardening gloves (clean ones not covered in soil and detritus) and stick two fingers up the centre of the eyecup from underneath. By spreading my fingers I could, just, keep the internal cylinder from rotating, and then scew and unscrew the outer cylinder so that it moved up and down as if you were moving repeatedly from spectacle-wearer's position to non-spec position, and back again over and over. This loosened up the eyecup after a few minutes and it was OK on the bins. I am not sure if this would work with every eyecup so I recommend asking Gary for the best advice.

Lee

That made me smile....because yesterday I got a tea towel and did exactly that. Two fingers up, rotating vigorously.......guess what.....still as stiff. Now I've got them at half mast because I'm frightened of cracking them.

Not to worry, they're still great binoculars.

Many thanks for all the replies gents, It looks like i'll be doing another deal when this lockdown is over! :t:

Lee, Thanks for educating me!! :clap:|8)||8)|

John |=)|

The eyecups can be screwed onto the binocular body surprisingly firmly without causing any harm, though doing so to make them secure can feel somewhat "brutal" to those with mechanical sensitivities...

The eyecups can be screwed onto the binocular body surprisingly firmly without causing any harm, though doing so to make them secure can feel somewhat "brutal" to those with mechanical sensitivities...

But that's how they cracked the first time when I couldn't get them to twist downwards. They are, imo, quite fragile. Too much pressure and they crack or come straight off again.

But that's how they cracked the first time when I couldn't get them to twist downwards. They are, imo, quite fragile. Too much pressure and they crack or come straight off again.

Ian

If by this you mean the eyecups were in the no-specs position and wouldn't screw down to the collapsed position then if they broke when you tried to screw them down I am sure the two tubes which make up the eyecups were misaligned and cracked because of this.

In my experience they are robust and for them to crack there must have been another factor involved.

Lee

Hi ya Lee

I meant that it cracked when I tried to turn it upwards - from specs position up. When I say they are fragile I mean that because you have to use so much pressure to twist it up, the interior tube cracked. I can only assume it was from the pressure I put on it although it may have been cracked from new as they were only 6 weeks old. One came off again today while in the field. There was no way I could get it to shift. It's not misaligned, I can screw themselves easy enough.....they are both just ultra stiff. I have to twist really hard....and as I do it I get the feeling that it's not going along the guides - it's just popping up. They won't reach the maximum twist up without them unscrewing and this seems like I'm going to twist the rubber eye cups off (as they start to distort) and I'm worried about damaging them.

Hope all this makes sense. I'm going to try your gardening gloves method again this afternoon to see if it will move.

Last edited:
Hi ya Lee

I meant that it cracked when I tried to turn it upwards - from specs position up. When I say they are fragile I mean that because you have to use so much pressure to twist it up, the interior tube cracked. I can only assume it was from the pressure I put on it although it may have been cracked from new as they were only 6 weeks old. One came off again today while in the field. There was no way I could get it to shift. It's not misaligned, I can screw themselves easy enough.....they are both just ultra stiff. I have to twist really hard....and as I do it I get the feeling that it's not going along the guides - it's just popping up. They won't reach the maximum twist up without them unscrewing and this seems like I'm going to twist the rubber eye cups off (as they start to distort) and I'm worried about damaging them.

Hope all this makes sense. I'm going to try your gardening gloves method again this afternoon to see if it will move.

I really would contact Gary at East Coast Binocular Repairs and ask him for a fresh set of eyecups and also ask him to ensure they will unscrew to fully extended without unscrewing from the bino.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back