• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia & Thailand - seeking ID confirmation (1 Viewer)

James, I appreciate your expertise and for sticking with me thus far.

Just a few more photos to go...

Panti Forest Reserve, 5 November. I have settled on juvenile Scarlet-rumped Trogon, not Cinnamon-rumped. Agree/disagree?

Yep, lack of contrast on face suggests Scarlet-rumped for me, and that rump already looks like it might be getting a bit of colour.

I see that weblink has a photo of a male of Cinnamon-rumped Trogon that is mine, without permission - tut, tut!

Cinnamon-rumped Trogon is such a rarely seen species compared to the much more frequently seen Scarlet-rumped (I've only see CRT less than <10 times of 12 years of living in Malaysia!), mainly due to it's quiet call and tendency to perch much lower down, I think.

James

I see that weblink has a photo of a male of Cinnamon-rumped Trogon that is mine, without permission - tut, tut!

Tut, tut indeed! And their attempt to credit you in the lower left of the page is rather slack:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 6.28.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 6.28.53 PM.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Next up... a heavily cropped image of a distant Curlew (Krabi, Thailand, 8 November). I had assumed Far Eastern based on the length of the bill. But can Eurasian really be eliminated? The reason I'm questioning it is because the next day I saw a large Curlew in flight with a bill that appeared equally as long, but the underwing coverts appeared to be white (again it was rather distant).

Liam

Attachments

• 2S2A2117x.jpg
    2S2A2117x.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 65
OK, no takers on the Curlew yet, but I am going to post another set of photos just to progress on this project of mine.

Here's a Sandplover in Krabi, Thailand, 9 November. I saw both Greater and Lesser in Australia over 15 years ago, but they were side by side, so ID was easy. My feeling here is that this is Greater Sandplover, based on proportions and tarsus length. Anyone feel otherwise?

Attachments

• 2S2A2191x.jpg
    2S2A2191x.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2S2A2192x.jpg
    2S2A2192x.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 49
The sandplover looks like Lesser to me - it doesn't seem to have the bulk of greater and the bill does not look heavy enough. Remember that Lesser SP in Thailand will be atrifrons group while those in Australia are mongolus group (a good split IMO).

I'm not sure I'd want to commit on the curlew. The bill does look long, but so can some female orientalis Eurasian and unfortunately this photo is not clear enough to confirm either way on plumage.

The sandplover looks like Lesser to me - it doesn't seem to have the bulk of greater and the bill does not look heavy enough. Remember that Lesser SP in Thailand will be atrifrons group while those in Australia are mongolus group (a good split IMO).

OK, I can see what you mean, and believe you are right. I'll have to brush up on these a bit more.

I'm not sure I'd want to commit on the curlew. The bill does look long, but so can some female orientalis Eurasian and unfortunately this photo is not clear enough to confirm either way on plumage.

This info, coupled with my 2nd sighting on the 9th makes me think Eurasian is more likely, although I'll have to accept that the ID isn't 100% certain. At least I've seen both of these elsewhere.

OK, last pic. Here's an Ardeola Pond-heron on the mudflats in Krabi, Thailand on 9 November. I also saw some in Bangkok on the 13th. From what I've read, these are basically inseparable in the field in non-breeding plumage. I think that Chinese is more likely in Krabi but Javan is still a distinct possibility. Anything about this bird (e.g. still remaining from breeding plumage) that might ID it to sp.? There are pics on the web, IBC for example, where people seem certain about the ID of a non-breeding bird.

Attachments

• 2S2A2202x.jpg
    2S2A2202x.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 37
Would say you are correct with the sandplover , leg color and bill length would also be an indication
darker legs and shorter bill on Lesser.

The pond heron would probably be Chinese a bit darker than Javan even in non breeding plumage

Last edited:
Would say you are correct with the sandplover , leg color and bill length would also be an indication

I'm probably not, and John had suggested Lesser here. Bill looks better for Lesser; leg colour looks greenish-grey to me, and would probably be a bit brighter on Greater. I thought the tarsus was too long, but apparently it's tibia length that matters, not tarsus.

The pond heron would probably be Chinese a bit darker than Javan even in non breeding plumage

I think Chinese is commoner in Krabi, although Javan is still quite possible. Interesting, I've never heard of one being darker than the other in NB plumage.

I'm probably not, and John had suggested Lesser here. Bill looks better for Lesser; leg colour looks greenish-grey to me, and would probably be a bit brighter on Greater. I thought the tarsus was too long, but apparently it's tibia length that matters, not tarsus.

I would advise against relying too much on leg colour as a major feature on sandplovers. It's variable between individuals, and also varies according to age and season. Structure (especially the bill) and jizz are the most useful features on non-breeding birds. Be careful about leg length as well, though, because this varies according to weather (the birds sleek down their feathers when hot).
I'm actually fairly confident that this is not a Greater- for me the bill is not long enough, heavy enough or pointed enough, and the head is not large enough.

I would advise against relying too much on leg colour as a major feature on sandplovers. It's variable between individuals, and also varies according to age and season. Structure (especially the bill) and jizz are the most useful features on non-breeding birds. Be careful about leg length as well, though, because this varies according to weather (the birds sleek down their feathers when hot).
I'm actually fairly confident that this is not a Greater- for me the bill is not long enough, heavy enough or pointed enough, and the head is not large enough.

Thanks John - I appreciate your expertise on this :t:

Liam

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back