• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead ducks on the river Severn (1 Viewer)

On my walk up river from Upper Arley today 2 dead Mallards floated downstream, one went past on my up stream, and anouther after I had turned back downstream. While it is conceivable that it was the same bird, perhaps it could have caught in branches at the edge of the river and then released again later. I think it's far more likely to be 2 separate birds. Should I be reporting this to anyone? And If so who would I report it to?
Jackied

A dead Mallard is not inconceivable but two in quick succession could be deemed unusual. If you suspect a wildlife crime then the local constabulary would be the point of contact. Whether they respond is questionable and what would they have to act on, where do they start? Anyone guilty eg someone using an air rifle or similar is long gone.
If pollution is the culprit, then it would be the Envirinment Agency, though no suggestion of dead fish, unusual smell, foam , oily surface or discolouration points to another reason for the duck's demise.

Last edited:
If you had any photos (a poor photo with a mobile phone should be plenty good enough), then if nothing else, posting to social media could have a big impact - locals in the area could be alerted to keep an eye out/you may get confirmation of a situation, especially if it is a popular local area. You can also tag eg local wildlife crime officers etc.

There's the police 101 number, or I believe another recent number/email address??

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back