• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trojan warning (1 Viewer)

level seven

I've had AVG Free Edition for about 18 months now. For the very first time, this morning when I turned my PC on I got a warning about a trojan. I didn't make a note of the name because I hit the "get rid" button pretty quickly!

As I say, I've never had one before and haven't been on dodgy sites or opened unknown e-mails either. This makes me think it must be one doing the rounds and affecting a lot of people. Anyone else had this?

Hi Graham

I've AVG too and got nothing unusual this morning... just the usual update.

D

Just looked further and the trojan is Generic6. From googling around it seems a lot of people have just had this warning as well and, like me, have never had any before.

AVG says it's fixed it so i won't worry (too much....)

I've had AVG Free Edition for about 18 months now. For the very first time, this morning when I turned my PC on I got a warning about a Trojan. I didn't make a note of the name because I hit the "get rid" button pretty quickly!

As I say, I've never had one before and haven't been on dodgy sites or opened unknown e-mails either. This makes me think it must be one doing the rounds and affecting a lot of people. Anyone else had this?

Hi Level Seven

I have AVG too, and had it now for over two years. It is super for a free peice of software.

Yes, I have had Trojan virus 3 times now, and AVG has picked it up each and every time.
I also had another virus a while ago, and it had numbers attached to it. I wish I can remember what it was now - never mind - it was another virus and again AVG did it's task. :C

Like you the first time I saw Trojan (yes....Generic6) I nearly passed out, but realised that AVG did what it is supposed to do, and protect your PC. ;)

Did Trojan appear with a picture of a mythical big bright red bull with horns (he is quite a handsome specimen to look at!!) :eek!:

My feeling (in my case) with Trojan, that it was picked up while I was surfing the internet. I was looking at a Forum to see what it was like and Trojan latched on to my Server and there it was. So Trojan can be picked up anywhere on the website. :C

It is just bad luck if you get it, as long as you are protected you will be all right.

Don't panic you are safe :t:

Paulwfromtheden: ... bet you have been on o:) sites LOL

I dont think that there is an honest person in the world who would deny it!! But in the words of Bruce Springsteen, "You can look, but you better not touch, boy".....
Strictly for the saddos....

I meant statement o:) as dodgy sites. I hope it was not misconstrued here!!

|:$| |:$|

I've had AVG Free Edition for about 18 months now. For the very first time, this morning when I turned my PC on I got a warning about a trojan. I didn't make a note of the name because I hit the "get rid" button pretty quickly!

Don't forget that you can get a message saying that your computer has a virus - and you are invited to press a button to get rid of it. Bad mistake!! Pressing the button allows the hidden virus in the message to be installed on your computer. Be very careful if you get a message that looks like it comes from Windows etc.

Just thought I'd cheer you up

Don't forget that you can get a message saying that your computer has a virus - and you are invited to press a button to get rid of it. Bad mistake!! Pressing the button allows the hidden virus in the message to be installed on your computer. Be very careful if you get a message that looks like it comes from Windows etc.

Just thought I'd cheer you up

hi Paul

Good point there!!

Can I ask if a person does get a Virus as Trojan, is it a question of using AVG itself. Is it a guarantee it will dispose of the virus for you.

I have got to admit, I would avoid any messages prompting you to 'delete' anywhere else ie on the screen software you are using at the time

I got rid of Trojan through AVG itself, and avoiding any external prompts to dispose of Viruses, even if it looks tempting as it does!! ;)

Just interested here?

If you're not familiar or are unsure of "what" any AV has flagged as a trogan or a virus ... you can have it moved to the "vault" just in case it's a false positive. (does happen now and then).

Obviously some websites are set up solely to download all kinds of nasties to people's computers however there are also nasties just riding the airwaves ... just being on the internet; computers are under attack all the time. (hence the need for a good firewall). I call these "fly-by shootings" ...

As we can only have "one" AV active on the computer; yes AVG or any other reputable AV software "is enough" most of the time. However none of them can cover 100% of all nasties so now and then (esp if there's an obvious problem on the computer that your AV didn't catch) it's an idea to use a reputable on-line scanner. It's a good idea to look for a good one BEFORE you need it and have its link bookmarked so you can head there immediately when you need it.

One habit that is good for avoiding many little problems is to always "empty the cache" BEFORE closing down the computer for the night. Not all, but most have their initial load IN the internet cache and some then activate at startup.

The other folder to clear out -- or partially out --- (this is debated by people however ...) is the "Prefetch" folder. If you've deinstalled a program that messed up on your computer ... this is a good place to look to delete it from there too - manually. You can delete most of the prefetch folder ... it rebuilds as you use programs on your computer ... Its purpose is to enable Windows to load the programs faster. It does have a limit and eventually the unused links would be replaced by newer ones. Having read arguments for and against emptying the Prefetch folder ... I have come to the conclusion that it's mostly a matter of personal choice EXCEPT that there are some baddies which are programmed to be hidden in there and launched from there SO; "if/when" something is going quirky -- or you suspect something may go wrong because of a recent attack; that really is a folder to clear out as well.

AntiVirus software gets rid of viruses.
AntiSpyware software gets rid of trogans.
AVG does have a combo software available.

Last edited:
Hi,

Better late than never. On the 18 August I received a message from AVG about a Trojan Horse Generic5.pIO attached to aaw.2007, I haven't a clue what that is. I put the Trojan in the quarrantine vault and forgot all about it until now seeing this post, so thank you. Should I delete the Trojan and any more I receive in the future.

Old habits die hard, if in doubt file it and that is what I did, just glad to find this thread today.

Thanks

Ann

Hi,

Should I delete the Trojan and any more I receive in the future.

Old habits die hard, if in doubt file it and that is what I did, just glad to find this thread today.

Thanks

Ann

I would delete it Ann. Only reason anyone might keep a file identified as infected would be for further investigation or study.

aaw.2007.exe is part of Ad-Aware 2007 and is not a virus. This Trojan Horse Generic5.pIO is a false positive by AVG and should be fixed shortly with the next definitions file.

Regards Howard.

socksitus

Yes AVG is a free one........
http://free.grisoft.com/

Ian uses this on his and I have avast which is another free one and we have had no problems with either., which is more than I could say for Norton. On the avast one I get a daily record it is updated and when a new one needs putting on a green box informs me. When a dodgy email arrives it does a rather loud siren sound as well.

http://www.avast.com/

Thank you Marmot, ust be where the idea of howlers came from for Harry Potter or vica versa?? I will give it a go on number 3 computer. Gets a bit expensive keeping all of them up to date with anti virus.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back