• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hertfordshire Bird Checklist (1 Viewer)

Hi
I've recently posted the Hertfordshire Checklist on my free, non-commercial website www.printablebirdchecklists.homestead.com

If anyone would like to take a look and let me know if there are any omissions, discrepancies or errors, I would be most grateful.

Regards

Mal :t:

Greylag and Barnacle RN PArakeet Cat C introduced in county same as Little Owl
Barnacle not accepted in county as Cat A

Add Black and Red Throated Divers Pom and Gt Skua Hooded Crow Little Bunting Lesser Redpoll

Blue Rock Thrush escape

Richard Pipit subject to acceptance

Tundra Bean def in county not sure on Taiga and haven't checked as would be included together on checklist.

Joan
(writer of part county bird report)

Hi Joan,
Thanks taking the time to check the list. I'll amend it in line with your suggestions over the weekend.

Regards
Mal

Hi Joan,
I've amended the checklist as per your suggestions, except for Greylag & Barnacle Goose which I've left as "escape" rather than "introduced".

If you find any other errors, omissions etc, please let me know.

Thanks again

Mal

Hi Joan,
I've amended the checklist as per your suggestions, except for Greylag & Barnacle Goose which I've left as "escape" rather than "introduced".

If you find any other errors, omissions etc, please let me know.

Thanks again

Mal

Greylag and Barnacle Geese are on BOU CAt C for Herts just like Canada Geese Little Owl RN Parakeet Pheasant etc.

I personally proved Cat C Barnacle Geese occur by reading Darvic rings from the BOU CAt C Beds population so they are not on the Herts List as just escapes. Thus it was my find of the rings, following the original finding on water by someone else, that put Barnacle Geese back on the county list.
Certainly not escapes which they are undoubtably as well.
Greylag geese are the same status in Herts as Canada, perhaps not such a large number but are definately increasing and breeding in the county and a flock numbering over 100 has occurred with several flocks around 30-40 at other sites. They breed in the county as well and CERTAINLY rank with Canada Geese now.

So in order for your Herts list to be ACCURATE you do need to put both BArnacle Geese and Greylag on the list. Definately with Barnacles there are escapes just as they are with some of the Whooper Swans, also escaped from Beds.

So if you want to be totally accurate you would have to have Barnacle and Whooper on both the Escape and non escape lists.

Joan

Joan

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back