• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Molesey Reservoirs Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

mathare

Does anyone know anything about Molesey Reservoirs Nature Reserve? In particular, does it actually exist?

I know that sounds like a strange question but I have my reasons for asking it. I stumbled across the nature reserve while looking around the local area on Google maps - it's upstream along the Thames from Hampton Court, near the treatment works at Walton.

It has no reviews on Google and I can find very little about it on the internet, and what I have found seems to suggest it is a former reservoir that was then used for extraction of aggregates and will be converted to a wetland reserve.

Has that happened?

I have stumbled across documents and plans for converting the site but nothing that says the work has been completed and the nature reserve is actually open.

I assume it is Thames Water property and they seem pretty rubbish at updating their website to provide details of their nature reserves.

I wondered about that one too Martin.

Molesy Heath LNR seems to be an area to the west of Island Barn Reservoir whereas the Molesy Reservoir NR I was looking at is to the north, on the south side of the river opposite the Stain Hills Reservoirs. It's marked as gravel pits on the magic map website and I haven't been able to find anything about it on the council website. I'll forget about this one for now I think.

I wondered about that one too Martin.

Molesy Heath LNR seems to be an area to the west of Island Barn Reservoir whereas the Molesy Reservoir NR I was looking at is to the north, on the south side of the river opposite the Stain Hills Reservoirs. It's marked as gravel pits on the magic map website and I haven't been able to find anything about it on the council website. I'll forget about this one for now I think.

Molesey Reservoirs Nature reserve comprises the old defunct Chelsea and Lambeth reservoirs (between Terrace Rd and the R Thames). Gravel extraction has taken place over the past 10 years or so and is now complete. The site is I think pretty much finished as far as habitat formation goes, but as yet no access arrangements have been forthcoming.

I think there are plans in the pipeline but wouldn't want to spill the beans as I don't think anything has been signed yet?

Send me a private e-mail if you want any further info.

Cheers
Dave

Excellent Dave, thanks.

No need to elaborate on any plans - the important thing (to me, at least) is that the site isn't ready or accessible yet so it's not somewhere I should be adding to my list of local sites worth visiting. As I say, I stumbled across it on Google maps rather than anything else and I was simply curious given the lack of info I could dig up.

Molesey Reservoirs Nature reserve comprises the old defunct Chelsea and Lambeth reservoirs (between Terrace Rd and the R Thames). Gravel extraction has taken place over the past 10 years or so and is now complete. The site is I think pretty much finished as far as habitat formation goes, but as yet no access arrangements have been forthcoming.

I think there are plans in the pipeline but wouldn't want to spill the beans as I don't think anything has been signed yet?

Send me a private e-mail if you want any further info.

Cheers
Dave
Dave do you know anything about this place as it’s still sitting and closed to the public I just wondered if you might have any updates on the place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back