• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat detectors (1 Viewer)

Thanks for that Peter. What you say seems to fit perfectly with the first few listens of my new C.D. One problem I have, is that I think I have only ever seen Pipistrelles in my local area, though to be honest, I haven't looked too hard before. I think my first village target species will be Daubentons on some local bodies of water.

You are right about Horseshoes, they sound magic on my C.D!

Hi Chris
I'm also new to this I am confident now at Pipistrelles, which CD did you get? Are you please with it?
Regards Kim

Hi Kim,
It's called 'The Bat Detective, a field guide for bat detection'. The C.D is fine, but it came with a small book which, to me, contains a lot of unnecessary technical information about sound and stuff! I got it from CJ Wildbird Foods, www.birdfood.co.uk.

Regards, chris

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything about the new batbox Griffin?

I'm sure it will be well beyond the budget and spec for amateur bat enthusiasts but as it includes Heterodyne, frequency-division and time-expansion and takes a compact flash card it sounds like a great piece of kit,

Thanks

Alan

I'm thinking of getting one of these things, preferably before bat season is over this year. Has anyone used/seen the new Magenta models? According to blurbs they seem to have overcome the main niggles people had with the old ones, and the Bat5 is tempting me the most at the moment after having done a little reading. Comparatively reasonable price (less than £100), loudspeaker (essential) etc... http://www.alanaecology.com/acatalog/Magenta_Bat5_Bat_Detector.html

Anyone have any comments or other suggestions please?

I notice that the Bat4 is only £59.95 inc VAT. It apears to be the same spec apart from having an analouge dial in place of the lcd.

True, they do seem exactly the same. £40 for an LCD display? Hmm!

Well as no-one seems any the wiser about them, and there's not much info around from what I can find, I might just have to go for it and see what happens...

To be honest, the LCD display could be very useful, compared to an analogue dial in the dark. As a bat whizzes past, and you've tuned to the lowest point where the peak power is.. you want to see straight away what the reading is. The LCD is obvious and accurate, the dial may be difficult to get a reading.

I find for the pips, tuning to 50 and seeing if it gets deeper if I tune up or down is sufficient!

I simply mark my analogue dial with a black line at 50kHz so I can get back there ok.

Last edited:
To be honest, the LCD display could be very useful, compared to an analogue dial in the dark. As a bat whizzes past, and you've tuned to the lowest point where the peak power is.. you want to see straight away what the reading is. The LCD is obvious and accurate, the dial may be difficult to get a reading.

Another £40 though, I'm only a student so it's quite hard to justify! It says the dial is top illuminated, whatever that means, so I guess that would help a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back