• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New field studies (1 Viewer)

I'm grateful to all of you for the encouraging replies!
Attached the latest fieldwork-only black& white this time-done today
morning at Munich zoo.
The Puma is my first I've ever sketched from life..not easy at all!

Paschalis

Attachments

• Abruzzo Chamois.jpg
    Abruzzo Chamois.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 135
  • Flamingo.jpg
    Flamingo.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Flamingo baby.jpg
    Flamingo baby.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Puma.jpg
    Puma.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 175
I've never really had much interest in portraying animals other than birds or insects. But between these and other of your sketches and being absolutely stunned by the light movements of a rhinoceros at the Philadelphia Zoo recently I can see that I'll be doing some sketching at the zoo soon. Just need to wait for the weather to cool a bit.

Of course they won't begint to look like this. They're amazing field studies.

Painted on location today morning in Munich zoo..

Paschalis, that's a gorgeous owl. I like the clever way you've rendered the feathers.

You also gave me a trip down memory lane: I see that you've been working at Munich zoo. I've been there myself a number of times to draw the animals - what a wonderful place! The air is so clear and what a collection of animals they have. I once even saw a wild otter running alongside the stream that runs through it, and you can't get much more magical than that. My favourite memory was of the pack of painted dog puppies. I returned at a later date when they were grown and produced a lino cut of a couple of them. The fact that they were stood in half a foot of snow doesn't appear in my print though. If anyone gets the chance to go, then I'd fully recommend it. Also visit Munich's natural history museum. They have an excellent collection of European mammals (as does the zoo).

Andrew

Attachments

• Tyzack_Painted_Dogs.png
    Tyzack_Painted_Dogs.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 122
Hi Paschalis,

Somehow I missed commenting on this thread before - spectacular work! On your last zoo batch, the puma (called 'cougar' usually here in the US) is very well done. I know from experience how hard they are. We have a small zoo nearby that has an old cougar that was born in captivity, and I found him harder to sketch than I expected. Your birds are simply outstanding as well!

Thank you John!
I'm glad that you like it!
Ulrike, you've right! Black BIC biro has been the cheapest and the most suitable medium I could find
while working outdoors..
But please the yellow BIC and the not the tranparent one...
It is the one with the fine point which allows me to achieve very fine texture..

Paschalis

Last edited:
I'm just back from a short visit to Berlin where I 've got the chance to spend a morning in
"Berlin Tierpark", the east Berlin zoo.Beautifully located , extended over a very large area with amazing old oaks and unique collection of animals and birds.
I used my time to study the raptors and here they are what I did this morning...

Attachments

• Harpy eagle study.jpg
    Harpy eagle study.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Eastern imperial eagle.jpg
    Eastern imperial eagle.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 171
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back