• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Goldfinch carving (1 Viewer)

Here's the next piece in the commission I'm doing for a collector. American Goldfinch on a dead oak branch. Wanted the contrast between the dead branch and the live bird. My artistic weirdness I guess is showing!!! Both the bird and branch are carved from Tupelo gum wood. Painted with acrylics. Life sized.

Attachments

• Final 1 smaller.jpg
    Final 1 smaller.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 249
Wonderful work again Marc, simply beautiful. I know it's crass to focus on one part of such a wholly excellent piece, but the bird's feet are simply amazing - tremendous stuff!

marcbarger said:
Here's the next piece in the commission I'm doing for a collector. American Goldfinch on a dead oak branch. Wanted the contrast between the dead branch and the live bird. My artistic weirdness I guess is showing!!! Both the bird and branch are carved from Tupelo gum wood. Painted with acrylics. Life sized.
I like a lot, brilliant ,Arthur

timwootton said:
Wonderful work again Marc, simply beautiful. I know it's crass to focus on one part of such a wholly excellent piece, but the bird's feet are simply amazing - tremendous stuff!

I was thinking the same thing. It is really very nice.

jcwings said:
I was thinking the same thing. It is really very nice.

Ditto here on the feet also. But what I really like is the color on the underside of the branch. It keeps it all together.

Marc, I dont think you've produced any work I haven't liked. This one is as gorgeous as all the others.

Woody

Looking at some of the other carvings, I love the kestrel and the Northern Cardinal. Incredibly life-like. It would be interesting to see a few shots of a work in progress all the way to the finished product.

wish I was capable of doing 3D work such as this, I love the contrast between bird and branch, stunning stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back