• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope 85T and focusing problem (1 Viewer)

Glen Anthony Ri

Last week I bought a Zeiss Diascope 85T FL from the folks at Scope City in Las Vegas. They shipped it here to me in New York and now I'm testing it. It seems that you can focus it clearly up to about 3/4 of a block away. If you look any further than that it is blury. It's very good in short distances. I am able to focus on objects as close as 15 feet away very sharply. I really bought the scope with the idea that it had basically infinite focus. I had a spotting scope years ago and it would give you a clear view of objects at distances much greater than a block away. Am I missing something here? Are these birding scopes designed to be used from only a block or so away from the intended target? Do I have a defective scope? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Glen and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and admin. staff.
I'm sure someone will answer your qeury soon, but speaking personally, it doesn't sound like your scope is working properly - I can't imagine why it would appear blurred at any distance.

Hi Glen,

I just bought an 85T as well, from a local gun shop. The only thing I noticed first time out was that, because the optics are so good, I saw a lot more heat shimmer than with my old scope.

No focus problems though, even from distances as far as 1 1/2 miles (across water).

Thanks for your responses.
I phoned the store today. They told me that there could be something to do with the heat coming off the earth and the buildings. I'm looking out of my 18 story window (it's open) down to the street, which is about a 1/2 block away. It starts to get blurry when I look across that street. He told me that I need to take it outside to a different environment. Any take on what he's saying?
As I understand it, the scope has a lifetime warrenty. Hopefully it covers this, if it is a real problem.

He might be right - but only you will know that. Focus on infinity - the moon is a good object for that (there is no heat haze at night). If it focuses accurately (pin sharp), you have a good scope.

It won't by the way - or I'll be amazed if it does; you're not likely to confuse heat haze with lack of focus. Well, I doubt that's so - worth a try, though. We all fall foul of common sense now and again - I could tell you some stories from my life that prove the point!

If the problem is not as a result of heat haze, then why not speak again to your dealer, if this does not help, then contact Zeiss Sports Optics in the USA (based Chester, Virginia) and explain the problem. I am sure that they will assist you.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back