• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier ID in UAE. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi,
I saw this Harrier on 6. April near Al Ain UAE, which Harrier it can be?
Sorry, my camera need service!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_8975.jpg
    DSC_8975.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_8976.jpg
    DSC_8976.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_8960.jpg
    DSC_8960.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 133
The bird (from what i can see) lack the dark trailing edge on primaries/hand and has dark secondaries (just a dark "area".

On montagus one can usually see a dark edge and the montagus secondaries one can usually see clear barring towards the middle of the wing.

To sum it up i would say pallid harrier, female.

(add; but i can't see the boomerang in the inner hand/coverts, but that might has to do with quality on both pics and my computer screen?)

I would like to see better pics, as it is extremely difficult to see any sort of fine detail here. I'm not even sure what age or sex this bird is: I'm getting an impression that it may be a 2nd cal bird, with the underwing coverts appearing warm-toned, but this is just an educated guess, really. There don't appear to be any barred axilliaries, which would be diagnostic of Montagu's, but, then, perhaps these have yet to be moulted if it is a 2cy bird? Still, I would tend to provisionally agree with Mattias insomuch as that the inner primaries do appear to lack an obvious dark trailing edge, which would be a pro-Pallid character, but would stop short of claiming it as a certain Pallid on the available evidence. If it is one, the slight build would almost suggest 2cy male rather than a female?
Regards,
Harry

I would agree on Pallid regarding the pattern of inner primaries, also, I zoomed on the 1st picture and I think I can see a white collar which is a pro-pallid feature. But I am not sure about the age of this bird, streakings to the body underparts look pretty extensive, I think this is more in line with a bird in its 3rd cy (at least). On the other hand, the underwing coverts look quite uniform and warm coloured as Harry noticed...

It's adult female Pallid Harrier, sharp whitish collar, dark secondaries contrasting well with pale primaries, pale edges to inner primaries. Dark "hood"/ breast makes it adult.

Last edited:
Regarding the ageing, one has to be at bit careful since some juvenile Pallid/Montague's Harriers may moult the head and upper breast in winter. Montague's Harriers moult usually earlier than Pallid, and they may have replaced the entire body plumage by spring, according to Forsman.

In this case features that do not point towards a 2cy Montague's Harrier are:
-like mentioned, the trailing edge of the hand looks pale
-the fingers look quite pale, only the tips are dark
-the barring on the primaries is quite broad and regular
-there's a collar, but at least 2cy male Montague's Harriers may show one, don't know about females

However, one would always hope to see close up pictures of such a difficult to identify pair of species.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back