• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle? (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys. Wish I could have gotten more detail in that photo

Hi,

Agree on Bald Eagle. I am attaching an enhanced version of the photo that reveals more of the plumage details. I believe this bird is a juvenile (first year). Note the white axillaries (armpits) and shoulders, together with a fairly dark belly, that are typical of juvenile plumage.

Best,
Jim

Attachments

• DSC_4300_01102006_4052.jpg
    DSC_4300_01102006_4052.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
We don´t know when the image of this BE was taken, but it can´t have been this year which would make it a true juvenile (1cy = first calendar year), since the underparts are not uniformly brownish and because of the moult factor. The eagle is probably a 2cy, with faded whitish underparts which have yet to show moult in secondaries (usually s1-2, 4-5 + moult scedule depending on latitude in N.A, Florida birds earlier than northen ones) which give the eagle a broader wing usually - lacking the irregular appearance of newly aquired feathers which would look darker and shorter than any retained paler and longer juvenile feather.

1st basic Colorado March (Bill Schmoker)

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/Photos/Raptors/BAEA_1B_5.jpg

Note the pointed secondaries and uniform brown underparts in the juvenile bird:

http://www.pbase.com/cfields/image/73764340

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Wilson/v101n01/p0001-p0010.pdf

JanJ

Thanks guys. Wish I could have gotten more detail in that photo

In conjunction with Jan's post above, I wanted to ask when the photo was taken? EXIF data suggests an hour before it was posted yesterday, though I wonder if that is accurate.

Best,
Jim

We don´t know when the image of this BE was taken, but it can´t have been this year which would make it a true juvenile (1cy = first calendar year), since the underparts are not uniformly brownish and because of the moult factor.

Yes, I guess it helps to think about what is going on with the bird over time rather than just pick the closest match in a field guide--which is what I was doing. Duh!

Best,
Jim

Assuming this bird was photographed in North America, the choices are Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle.

The long wingspan and short tail is definitely eagle, but I am not familiar enough with juvie eagles to differentiate Bald Eagle form Golden Eagle.

Assuming this bird was photographed in North America, the choices are Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle.

The long wingspan and short tail is definitely eagle, but I am not familiar enough with juvie eagles to differentiate Bald Eagle form Golden Eagle.

Hi Terry,

I think pretty much everyone has agreed that it is a Bald Eagle. The amount of white on the axillaries and "shoulders" is pretty much diagnostic for an immature Bald Eagle. A Golden Eagle never shows this amount of white in this pattern. Also, Golden Eagle would be quite unusual in Wisconsin, especially at this time of year.

Best,
Jim

The amount of white on the axillaries and "shoulders" is pretty much diagnostic for an immature Bald Eagle. A Golden Eagle never shows this amount of white in this pattern. Also, Golden Eagle would be quite unusual in Wisconsin, especially at this time of year.
Thanks Jim. The retouched photo you provided really makes it obvious.

I have sort of adopted a rule as of late that I don't read the other replies to an ID request that I think I might have positive input to contribute.

In this case, it was merely to answer the question of "Eagle?". I felt confident that it was an eagle but, in looking at the OP's photo, didn't feel confident in IDing by species.

Your enhanced photo does make it clear that it is a Bald Eagle here.

Here is another shot from the series, these shots were taken on the 16th of July. They were taken in west central wisconsin, and as far as I know there are no nesting golden eagles around here, they migrate through sometimes though. But I know this area to have a few bald eagles.

DSC_4487_01112006_4191.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back