• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod & head for 500 f4 lens (1 Viewer)

Helios

Just purchased a 500 f4 lens and now need to think about some decent support. I now about the Wimberly/Gitzo combination but I don't really want to spend as much as that. I'm looking for some combination around £500. Total weight of camera and lens is around 4kg, and I don't have any sort of VR/IS system.

I don't think I can stress enough the importance of a good support when it comes to big lenses.
A great lens on an average support will yield poorer results than an average lens on a great support, simply because the better support will fully show what the lens is capable of. An average one will always compromise the results unless you're using very fast shutter speeds.

Having a 500mm lens suggests to me that you want to get maximum details out of your photos and your expectations are quite high.
Skimping on quality might have a negative impact on that and won't allow you to get the most out of your investment.
From my limited experience I've found out when using over 400mm+ focal lengths it's usually up for the support to decide the exact amount of detail and sharpness you get in the photos, especially when using low shutter speeds.

As far as ballheads go my advice is to get one of the Arca style ones.
Really Right Stuff BH-55, Kirk BH-1, Arca Swiss Z1 or Markins M-20 are considered to be the best. They will support quite well any kind of super telephoto lens.
One great advantage that this quick release system has is the superiority in design and customizable plates for individual models (lenses or cameras).

Gimbal heads are also very popular when it comes to big lenses because they do provide the ultimate convenience and stability, especially when shooting action.
They're also the first choice for professionals when using long lenses.

Last edited:
I recently converted to a Manfrotto 393 head after suffering blurred and unsharp picyures from my Sigma 300mmm 2.8 with 1.4 TC.
This solved my problem, the ability to balance the lens/camera is ideal for panning shots also.

Id go with what Paul recommends for your budget I did consider the Feisol3371 They didnt have the 3372 in their range at the time but in the end went for a Gitzo 3530 (Grossly over priced) but for the price of the Gitzo you could get the Feisol 3372 and the 393 head for about £80 less.Ive read lots about Feisol on the net (fredmiranda etc ) and there is very few complaints and the after sales service is second to none.Please keep us informed on what you decided.

I've decided to go with the Wimberley head and a Gitzo tripod. I'm not sure though, of what size of tripod I need. I've got a Manfrotto 055MF3 (134.5cm) which I find is great for my 300mm lens. Its just about the right height as well. The GT3530S (129cm) is smaller and the GT3531LSV (148cm) is quite a bit taller. My height is 5'10".

I'm very happy with my Gitzo tripod and Wimberley head (which I use with my manual focus 500 f/4 lens). I decided to go for the 5530S because I felt that the additional weight and price ($50 if I remember correctly) was tolerable. Good luck with what you decide.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

I've spoken to the camera shop, and it looks like my two options are the Gitzo GT3530LS or a Gitzo 5541LS. To me at least there isn't too much difference between the weight and the price. THe guy at the camera shop recons that the 5541 is overkill for a 500f4, and I should go for the new 3530, presumably because the legs are in 3 sections, not 4, and this provides more stability. I thought though that the 3530 was an older model, and that the systematic 5 series provided the best stability, although the legs are in 4 sections on the 3541.

Helios, some months ago I bought a Gitzo GT3530S and a Wimberley head for my 500 mm Canon, and I've never regretted one cent of it.

Not pushing the series 5 tripods but I think your camera store is incorrect. There are 3 section Series 5 Gitzo tripods. I have the 5530S. According to the Adorama web site, the current one is 5531S.

Good luck with your choice. It seems to me that all of your options are good.

Don Frambach

I've decided to go with the Wimberley head and a Gitzo tripod. I'm not sure though, of what size of tripod I need. I've got a Manfrotto 055MF3 (134.5cm) which I find is great for my 300mm lens. Its just about the right height as well. The GT3530S (129cm) is smaller and the GT3531LSV (148cm) is quite a bit taller. My height is 5'10".

I'm about the same height and use a gt3540ls which is fine heightwise and seems plenty strong enough for a 1d & 500mm f4. Gitzo seem to have renumbered the tripods recently but this is still listed on the Bob Rigby site

I've gone belt and braces with the GT5541 in the end. It's £80 more and a kilo heavier, but I felt it was justified as most of the time I would be using the 1.4 teleconverter and my 500/4 and camera has no image stabilisation to speak of.

I think you made a good choice. I too felt that the extra weight of a series 5 tripod was tolerable. Consequently, I don't think I'll ever think about buying a larger tripod for a larger lens, TC, etc.

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I'm having with mine.

BTW, just to keep going down the slippery slope, I found that the Gitzo leveling head was a nice addition to my set up. The Wimberley head works best on a level tripod. It takes some work to level a tripod on uneven ground. It's a snap to do that with the leveling head.

Don Frambach

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back