• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching in California (1 Viewer)

mike hawley

Occasional Alcoholic
I am shortly going on holiday to California could anyone recommend a fied guide for the area. Preferably something not too expensive or weighty.

Golden Filed Guides, North America for $16. Complete but paperback pocket book size. Pictures look like a 1960s encyclopedia, though. ;)

Mike, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum.

We went to California about ten years ago and had a fantastic time, although it wasn't a birding trip. We hired a motorhome (RV) and we were visited by lots of birds (and wildlife) on the campsites. We used the National Geographic Guide - don't know the full title as I am at work at the moment.

Hi Mike,

I don't think you could go wrong with The Sibley Field Guide to the Birds of Western North America. It's generally regarded as the best field guide to that area of the United States. Not expensive and easily available in the UK.

E

Yes, Sibley is good, I just offered the other one as an alternative. If I had the choice myself, I would go for Sibley Western. I typically have both, one in my car and one in my pocket! (I use Sibley Eastern)

mike hawley said:
I am shortly going on holiday to California could anyone recommend a fied guide for the area. Preferably something not too expensive or weighty.

Mike, I have the National Geographic guide "Birds of North America" ISBN 0-7922-7451-2 which provides comprehensive coverage. It is 5"x8"x1" so 'backpacks easily. It was 21.95 dollars about two years ago. I would sell if you are interested!

hi mike,
i'm a californian and i suggest you take a look at birds of north america by kenn kaufman. its under 20.00, measures 4 1/2 by 7 1/2 and is one of my favorites to carry in the field.
regards,
richard

Either the National Geographic Guide (which covers the entire U.S.) or the Sibley Western Guide will serve you well.

You also should investigate one or more "bird finding guides." The classic one for southern California is this one:

A Birder's Guide to Southern California (Lane/Aba Birdfinding Guide.)
by Brad Schram

Doug Greenberg said:
Either the National Geographic Guide (which covers the entire U.S.) or the Sibley Western Guide will serve you well.

You also should investigate one or more "bird finding guides." The classic one for southern California is this one:

A Birder's Guide to Southern California (Lane/Aba Birdfinding Guide.)
by Brad Schram

I'm from California (LA), and I can vouch for the Lane guide (for So Cal). It's fantastic, from freeway directions down to describing water faucets on trails so you know exactly where to go and what spp you can expect to find at each location throughout the year.

I'll also second the Sibley's Western US recommendation.

If you're going to be on/near the coast or taking any pelagic trips, would also highly recommend Rich Stallcup's "Birds of the Nearshore Pacific." Indispensible on a boat.

You didn't mention boat trips, but if you're interested, would recommend LA Audubon's half- or full-day trips out of LA and sometimes Santa Barbara. Or Shearwater Journeys out of Monterey on the central CA coast.

Hope you have a great holiday!

Katy

Katy Penland said:
I'm from California (LA), and I can vouch for the Lane guide (for So Cal). It's fantastic, from freeway directions down to describing water faucets on trails so you know exactly where to go and what spp you can expect to find at each location throughout the year.

Hi Katy,

Another refugee from LA. You got to Arizona. I went all the way to Italy years ago.

:clap: ;)

Hi, Steve,

You win! :flyaway: I'm only here for another few months, tho', before heading back to LA. Just on a "sabbatical" of sorts. Gonna be hard going back to the big, bad city after living for over two years in the middle of a forest.

Hey, I'll be in your neck of the woods in July. Well, in Sorrento, anyway, for a couple weeks. I just posted a query about possible birding spots around that area. Probably not much on in the middle of summer, but since I've not been south of the Alps in Europe, I figure most everything I see will be lifers anyway. Any advice for an Italy virgin? :-O

Roy Rainford said:
Mike, I have the National Geographic guide "Birds of North America" ISBN 0-7922-7451-2 which provides comprehensive coverage. It is 5"x8"x1" so 'backpacks easily. It was 21.95 dollars about two years ago. I would sell if you are interested!

Welcome to another Surrey birder, Roy!

I had a fantastic hol. in California in 1987, so I guess I'm a bit out of date (trip report on my web site). I used the Golden field guide and Peterson and what I think was called the Audubon master guide (in 3 vols). Between them I think I sussed out most of the birds. But I was lucky in that a local birder spent a couple of days showing me many great spots in the Baylands area.
Ken

Birding in California

When we received the Sibley fieldguide in the Bird Watching office for review, I was concerned about the colours on the gull plates. To my eye, the greys all looked too blue and yet shortly afterwards, when putting it to the test in that wonderfully bright light at Ventura, Morro Bay and Monterey, we found the colours were spot on.

In the course of a fortnight's reader holiday, there were many times when we needed to refer to the fieldguide to clinch an ID - one of those pesky flycatchers or an immature bird for instance. In every case Sibley had the answers and I feel this remarkable writer/ artist/ ID authority is a truly remarkable man who has set a new standard for identification guides. What will he come up with next?

On the subject of California, I'd be interested to know which places people think are the best for birding. My wife and I are always drawn back to Point Lobos, as much for the overall ambience of the place as the birds, but Monterey Bay and Pacific Grove never disappoint and there always seem to be lots of birds at Morro Bay. Wer've been four times in recent years and have never birded south of LA and yet each time we manage to uncover exciting new locations. there seems no end to the potential of this remarkable state - I can't wait to get back.

A visit of under two hours on a gray, foggy, misty day at the Salton Sea NWR at Christmas 1994 gave me 6 lifers on a casual ramble. American Avocet, Ross's Goose, California Quail, Western Grebe, my first white Snow Goose (I had seen a blue here at home in Indiana) and one other that escapes me at the moment. It was an amazing visit, in spite of the inhospitable and un-desert-like weather, and I've longed to visit again.

It's now called the Sonny Bono Salton Sea NWR, I believe.

Another place that I found wonderful on a very brief stop was the Tijuana Estuary NWR in southern San Diego County -- the hills to the south, overlooking the area and the air strip, were Mexico. Again, the weather was utterly miserable, misty, blowing, and fog rolling in from the sea, but it gave me 2 lifers: Western Meadowlark and Northern Shrike.

It seems I've read somewhere that San Diego County has the highest count of breeding birds of any county in the nation. Of course, it's huge, but you have ocean, desert, and various other shades of southern California in between. Wonderful place!

Oh, I think the 6th lifer was Brown Pelican -- which we later saw in large numbers off La Jolla.

San Diego County also boasts the Wild Animal Park near Escondido. Visited it twice in 3 days -- did the train tour 3 times -- and each time it seems liked a completely different tour. If you're in the San Diego area, I would not miss this. If you want to include the Zoo, do the zoo first!! Although terrific, it pales next to the WAP, IMHO.

Got a lifer there, too -- a Golden Eagle soaring with a flock of Turkey Vultures in the foothills above the park.

Boy, did I love California, or what???

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back