• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raptor help new york. (1 Viewer)

glide133

large bird spotted,the pictures I have are of the back.about the size of an osprey.you can see the white wing tip,some white areas on the back.the front of the bird was mostly white,it was almost dark out.and the head appered white from front also.this was taken in the Bronx tonight.

Attachments

• DSC_2357.jpg
    DSC_2357.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_2358.jpg
    DSC_2358.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_2370.jpg
    DSC_2370.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 54
Looks to be relatively short-winged and long-tailed, I believe the white areas on the back and tail tip might denote an immature possibly an Accipter form...If you’re sure about the size?...Sharpie can be ruled out, leaving perhaps Coopers?

Cheers

Looks like a Red-tailed Hawk to me. From what I can see, shape and posture both look good for RT Hawk. White mottling (almost a "V") is also good for that species. There might not be an obvious red tail visible, but that could be due to poor lighting or it could be an immature.

Last edited:
i'm going to go with red tailed hawk,in spite of my eyes and the white tail tip.it was dark and theres a lot of rth's around.the white that's on the back is the clincher.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back