• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A look at the Aurora 8x42 (1 Viewer)

MacGee

I tried out the Aurora 8x42 in Black & Lizars in Edinburgh today. First impression was very positive; they have something of the Leica gorgeousness that I saw in a pair of Ultravid 8x32 HD later on. They seem very small and light for an 8x42 and are beautifully balanced. In use they're bright and sharp - very pleasant to look through. My only disappointment was with the close focus. This is supposed to be 1.8m, but I'm sure the one I tried was more than 2m. Still, the only reason I didn't buy them was that the eye relief was too long for me. Though the view was good with my glasses on, I wasn't seeing the whole FOV, and for £750 I couldn't put up with that.

I also tried out the new DBA and the Imagic BGA SE, both in 8x42, but after the Aurora they seemed heavy and klunky, though both had good views. Finally I tried the Minox HG 8x43 on the recommendation of the assistant but they weren't a patch on any of the Opticrons. One look was enough to make me cast them aside.

Michael

I tried the Auroras at the Birdfair. I agree that the eye relief for spec wearers is too long - I was experiencing black-outs (if that's the right term). I also thought the focusing (from close to infinity) was too slow. Optically they're excellent, but they're not for me - which is why I bought a pair of Zeiss Victory FL 8 x 32s, which I'm delighted with :t:

Have given them a further test today - generally very good in terms of brightness / design / close focus and at horizontal viewing with basic background (ie walls, shrubbery etc) absolutely fine...........tested for colour fringing - weather vane against a blue sky this afternoon, and black ridge tiles/cream mortar spacing---- not very good at all, much evidence of purples above / greens below the outline of the vane and again when checking the edges of the tiles. Double checked against a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8 X 42 - the fringing was only just apparent. Afraid then that I cannot agree with those postings that say they are as good as a Leica BN or any of the other binos in the £1000 plus bracket such as the Zeiss FLs etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back