• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slow (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
I have a Canon 450D which uses Sd cards.I've been out today with a 4GB card photographing waxwings and filled the card with 246 images.When I loaded them onto the computer it took over an hour:eek!:,is this normal or is there any way of getting the task done faster?

how are you loading them (from camera or from a card reader)? what are you loading them on too (PC hard drive or external hard drive)? how are you connecting it? (USB). Is the PC doing anything else such as virus scans / spyware sweeps? Have you got a virus program scanning all downloads inc your camera?

how are you loading them (from camera or from a card reader)? what are you loading them on too (PC hard drive or external hard drive)? how are you connecting it? (USB). Is the PC doing anything else such as virus scans / spyware sweeps? Have you got a virus program scanning all downloads inc your camera?

Loading using a ScanDisk MicroMate card reader onto the hard drive via a USB,no virus program scanning downloads and computer not doing anything else that I know of.

If its USB1 that sounds about right. If I download a 4gb card to my laptop using an old card reader I normally fish out War and Peace to read through while I'm waiting ;)

not much you can do if the computer is limited to the USB1, it is just slower,,

even with USB2 I notice if I disconnect from the web and turn off my virus protection it speeds up the transfer a little as it is checking each photo being imported,,

Derry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back