• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D MkIII .... (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Since I'm probably going to be very interested in this as well, and timeframes and details are starting to emerge, I thought I'd start this thread as a place to post rumours, opinions, wishes, firm details, and even actual units, tests, and reviews, and otherwise shoot the breeze ....

Nikon has proven that it can do a 24MP sensor with clearly superior DR with the D7200, and Samsung a 28MP one with the NX-1, and these were years ago. I hope that Canon rises to the challenge to produce a camera that at least equals these resolutions with better DR, and is clearly superior to the Nikon D500 in every way ....

Rumours as reported suggest an announcement at CP+ in Japan at the beginning of March, or NAB in April 2018, with deliveries starting August.

https://m.dpreview.com/news/6530448...ark-iii-before-summer-2018-heres-our-wishlist

Chosun :gh:

That's great news. I can soon pick-up a second 7D MkII then as a back-up for my South Africa trip next June. :D

Nothing wrong with that (7D MkII) camera IMHO.

While there is nothing wrong with the 7DII, I tend to agree that a mark III needs to really step up to remain interesting. At this point, I kind of think it is really only the lenses that keep Canon such a force, and to be honest the Sony RX10IV has me very close to switching away from DSLR. There is nothing I want in a DSLR that the RX10IV doesn't offer (on paper), and the RX10IV weighs 40% of what a 7DII+100-400mkII weighs. I will take the reduction in sensor size for the reduction in overall size and weight and overall more modern feature set. If the autofocus and image stabilization are as good as suggested, there won't be anything Canon could do to keep me in the DSLR game, the weight difference is staggering. I will find out in early January when I am back in the states and buy the RX10IV.

In the meantime, for those in the DSLR camp still, I truly hope the 7DII steps it up. The 6DII is a bit of a joke, unfortunately. To me it seems plainly clear, though I am sure others might disagree, that Canon has such a broad lineup that they are handicapping their own cameras to prevent cannibalization. In my eyes they need a shakeup, pare down to 4-5 DSLRs and make each of them best in class. Right now they offer 22 DSLR SKUs across 8-10 product lines yet they don't offer what many people want - more robust WiFi integration, better dynamic range, better jpeg engine, lighter weight...

I realize I might not represent the opinions of wildlife photographers, but I will comment that among friends who are foremost biologists and/or birders and no primarily photographers, I am one of only three that still have DSLR setups, all of the rest have already switched to bridge cameras.

While there is nothing wrong with the 7DII, I tend to agree that a mark III needs to really step up to remain interesting. At this point, I kind of think it is really only the lenses that keep Canon such a force, and to be honest the Sony RX10IV has me very close to switching away from DSLR. There is nothing I want in a DSLR that the RX10IV doesn't offer (on paper), and the RX10IV weighs 40% of what a 7DII+100-400mkII weighs. I will take the reduction in sensor size for the reduction in overall size and weight and overall more modern feature set. If the autofocus and image stabilization are as good as suggested, there won't be anything Canon could do to keep me in the DSLR game, the weight difference is staggering. I will find out in early January when I am back in the states and buy the RX10IV.

In the meantime, for those in the DSLR camp still, I truly hope the 7DII steps it up. The 6DII is a bit of a joke, unfortunately. To me it seems plainly clear, though I am sure others might disagree, that Canon has such a broad lineup that they are handicapping their own cameras to prevent cannibalization. In my eyes they need a shakeup, pare down to 4-5 DSLRs and make each of them best in class. Right now they offer 22 DSLR SKUs across 8-10 product lines yet they don't offer what many people want - more robust WiFi integration, better dynamic range, better jpeg engine, lighter weight...

I realize I might not represent the opinions of wildlife photographers, but I will comment that among friends who are foremost biologists and/or birders and no primarily photographers, I am one of only three that still have DSLR setups, all of the rest have already switched to bridge cameras.

I totally agree with your sentiments. I was disappointed with the 7D2, those noise levels are really poor, but perhaps that is to do with the cost of the body, which is quite inexpensive considering the lenses that people, like me, stick on the end of it - a higher level crop factor DSLR would be nice.
I've actually made the switch just this month from DSLR to 4/3, plumping for the Olympus OM-D M1 II, as the 300mm lens is superb, and from what I've tested and heard from friends, far superior to the 100-400 II. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my 400mm DO II. The IS, AF and Silent shutter are all outstanding in my initial testing, it'll just take some time getting used to it (and the <2kg weight!).

James

I agree with what you have said. The Sony RX10 IV has certainly made a compelling argument. I would think that a Canon 7D MkIII that came in at the Nikon D500 price level would be spot on provided it makes a compelling argument sensor and performance-wise.

To compete with the D7200 and NX-1 sensors, Canon is going to have to jump up the resolution to at least 24MP (a 20% increase) and raise DR by ~25% at base ISO, and some ~15% throughout the ISO range, more if it wants to trump the NX-1 .... It will have to do all this at Nikon D500 speeds or better with no buffer or processing or transfer limitations.

To do this Canon is going to have to loosen the reigns on its rigid market segmentation and technology rankings between models and trickle through. This of course is all perfectly logical Japanese engineering and strategic business practice. You'd be right in saying that Canon lenses (and product offering ecosystem) have kept them in the game, despite Nikon kicking big goals body-wise over the last several years. Though due to smartphone picture developments there is pressure to increase the speed and performance of the product improvement life cycles ....

The sensor will have to be cutting edge stacked BSI type with some pretty fancy processing power and speed, with a new gen AF system to outdo the D500. This is going to take quite the leap ahead from where they are --- I'd suggest that a mere evolutionary tinkering at the edges won't cut it.

I'd like to see them go all the way.

Interesting comments James and Chosun. Looking more broadly, with Nikon bodies really stepping up in the DSLR market, more and more competitive third party lenses, and mirrorless interchangeable lens and fixed lens offerings really starting to compete and outcompete, you almost wonder how long Canon can rest on their laurels before they start to lose significant market share?

For me, personally, it's really not a question of what Canon (or Nikon) could do to make me want to keep carrying a DSLR. I hate the weight. I carry a lightweight Sony recording setup and a shotgun mic without a pistol grip to minimize weight while still getting 80-90% of the quality in audio recording, and I want the same in a camera. Bridge cameras are getting there, if the RX10IV isn't quite everything I want then within a year or two another offering will be there, guaranteed. Birding is a hell of a lot more enjoyable and you can walk further, explore more, do more field work, you name it, when you have a recording setup and a functional field camera at around 1-1.5kg instead of 5-8kg for the pair!

I think the conversation on here reflects the discussions I'm having in the field. I think the future for people who are primarily birders/naturalists rather than photographers is not SLRs.

For us birders Canon need to make a Olympus OM-D M1 II type camera the totally silent shutter is incredible ,if your hidden you can take hundreds of shots without scaring the subject .
Rob.

I think the conversation on here reflects the discussions I'm having in the field. I think the future for people who are primarily birders/naturalists rather than photographers is not SLRs.

For us birders Canon need to make a Olympus OM-D M1 II type camera the totally silent shutter is incredible ,if your hidden you can take hundreds of shots without scaring the subject .
Rob.

Good points Steve, and Rob.

The MFT format has offerings from Oly, Panny, and Fujifilm too that offer mirrorless form factor, lighter weight, and shutter benefits, with their latest sensors out-resolving the 7D MkII ..... AND ..... offering roughly the same or better DR.

With the Canon sensor so far behind, the little mirroless ILC's are winning converts - particularly those with phase detect (or similar performing) AF.

Canon needs to take these threats seriously when designing the 7D MkIII to come up with a compelling proposition for customers to purchase it. The task seems embarrassingly large ---- according to DXO Mark the Nikon D500 has the same DR @ ISO 800 as the 7D MkII can muster at it's top whack of base ISO 100 -- that's a 3 stop advantage to the Niki !! At common ISO ranges it's 2 stops, and remains 1 stop all the way through. Bill Claff at photonstophotos has it at a little less, though we should note that the higher resolving Nikon D7200 sensor has even better again DR at base ISO. Serious work to do .....

C'mon Canon ! Give me a reason to buy a 7D MkIII :cat:

Last edited:
Good points Steve, and Rob.

The MFT format has offerings from Oly, Panny, and Fujifilm too that offer mirrorless form factor, lighter weight, and shutter benefits, with their latest sensors out-resolving the 7D MkII ..... AND ..... offering roughly the same or better DR.

With the Canon sensor so far behind, the little mirroless ILC's are winning converts - particularly those with phase detect (or similar performing) AF.

Canon needs to take these threats seriously when designing the 7D MkIII to come up with a compelling proposition for customers to purchase it. The task seems embarrassingly large ---- according to DXO Mark the Nikon D500 has the same DR @ ISO 800 as the 7D MkII can muster at it's top whack of base ISO 100 -- that's a 3 stop advantage to the Niki !! At common ISO ranges it's 2 stops, and remains 1 stop all the way through. Bill Claff at photonstophotos has it at a little less, though we should note that the higher resolving Nikon D7200 sensor has even better again DR at base ISO. Serious work to do .....

C'mon Canon ! Give me a reason to buy a 7D MkIII :cat:

The problem here is not easily solved.
Canon makes its own sensors apparently, even though it no longer makes economic sense. The cost of a reasonably modern semiconductor sensor fab is in the multi billion US dollars currently. These capital costs and the expense of the mass of engineers and technicians needed to exploit these facilities are unsupportable imho if dedicated solely for a small market such as ILCs, even for Canon, the market leader.
At present, Sony appears to be the preeminent sensor supplier, with a 40%+ market share, supported by a huge business volume for smart phone sensors. Canon has no such market to share the overhead costs, yet sensor technology is still racing ahead, now fueled by automotive and 3D imaging requirements. As Canon is awol in these spaces, they will fall further behind the technology.
The hope is that Canon will find a way to access advanced sensor technology without needing to rely on Sony, as they will be hard pressed to keep up on their own.

Etud,

Yes, that is one of the big challenges facing Canon. They may be number 1 in photographic equipment, but in the broader semiconductor and imaging sensor world they are minnows. Data that I have looked at indeed has Sony at over 40% market share, whilst Canon have been dropping through the single digits, and if the paper shuffling of internal transfer pricing is taken out their market share is more like ~3%.

They aren't specifically exposed to the broader technology push and fabrication of mobile computing device imaging (other than as a competitive pressure), though this can be both a bad, and, a good thing. Bad in that they are not necessarily in the cutting edge technological loop with access to both developments and strategic alliance partners, but good in that they also play in a different part of the fabrication volume and value chain. Those higher profit margins and well developed ecosystem and service offering can explain their camera market position to date.

It is interesting since we have the "Ashes" Cricket series between Australia and England on at the moment. Normally for any major sporting events it is just a sea of "big white" lenses from the pro photographers. However, when watching the other day all I could see were the big black super telephotos of Nikon gear - not one white setup amongst them. Interesting since the top Canon body that they would've been using - the 1DX MkII is actually very competitive sensor wise. The 7D MkII on the other hand is comparatively woeful.

Canon have a vested interest in finding a way through this sensor challenge - imaging is their core business - they either find a way to stay competitive sensor and computing wise, or sell up, put the money in the bank for nett inflation rate interest and go and sit on the beach ! :) :cat:

As this technological and commercial direction for photographic equipment is of the same sort of nature of the challenge that Canon faces for its high end 'cine' business too, it is even more imperative that they succeed lest they invite overwhelming competition in that arena too .... I'm sure Sony and Panasonic have their own plans, particularly with the existing tie-up with classical optics giants Zeiss and Leica.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...-4k-camera-now-available-for-a-paltry-65-000/
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...nwrap-new-digital-cinema-camera-plans-1009997

With the rising advent of computational imaging (various phase detect, hybrid AF systems, and pixel shift resolution increases, etc) cameras are moving from electro-mechanical devices, to more electronics dependent ones. The key for Canon will to be to sucessfully and competitively navigate this driver without necessarily having the volume scale to reduce R&D overheads as you say. Strategic alliances are one option on either the design and/or fabrication fronts, though the inadvertent loss of IP and involuntary technology transfer remains a significant risk - particularly where China is concerned.

Having intimate knowledge of the upper level strategic workings of major Japanese companies, I would be very surprised if they didn't have a comprehensive multi-decadal plan to address the way forward. Several patents certainly point to work in the emerging (stacked) BSI CMOS sensor technologies, though Sony are well and truly leading here too, with products already to market.
http://thenewcamera.com/canon-patent-bsi-cmos-sensor/
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201702/17-013E/

The question that occurs to me in relation to the 7D MkIII is can Canon abandon the strict ordering of trickle down technologies from flagship FF on down, and use this 7D MkIII incarnation as a pilot testbed for (stacked) BSI CMOS sensor and attendant processing technologies to provide a market leading product?

I would suggest that to do anything less is merely tinkering at the periphery that would do nothing to prevent any real (or perceived) product offering and market slide ......

With the delicious prospect of a 600mm f4 DO offering, and further lightened and upgraded (with IS III) big white telephotos, and a proud history and number 1 market position to defend, Canon and its (very) loyal customers deserve nothing less than a truly market leading 7D MkIII :king:

These summaries/ analysis may be of interest to folks ....
http://www.coventor.com/blog/cmos-image-sensors-cis-past-present-future/
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171031005672/en/Global-CMOS-Image-Sensor-Market-2017-2021--
https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Y...or-industry-2017-report-by-yole-developpement

Hi Chosun Juan,
Thank you for your enlightening comments regarding Canon.
It seems to me that Samsung would be a logical partner for Canon in the sensor space, as Samsung has stepped out of the camera market, but has the technology infrastructure and the budget to stay competitive in sensors.
Canon worked well with HP in laser printers, so teaming is not new to them.
Iirc, most larger Japanese firms belong, often very loosely, to one of a handful of larger family of companies. In that framework, no idea whether a Korea/Japan JV would be acceptable to either side.

Etud,

I agree with your suggestion of Samsung being a logical and complimentary partner to Canon, and also a good move strategically given the competition. As far as bigger image capturing devices go, largely Samsung's weaknesses are Canon's strengths - ie. their lenses catalogue, and optical design/ manufacture capabilities. It no more makes commercial sense for Canon to go it alone in the sensor arena, than it did Samsung to try and generate a whole lens catalogue from scratch for such a relatively small market - something they pulled out of before completing the task. They must have spent an enormous amount of money trying. Together they could amortize R&D costs much more efficiently spread over wider ranges and greater volumes - leveraging the knowledge of Canon, and the learning from the rapidly progressing smartphone arena.

I think Samsung's achievements with the NX-1 were remarkable. Released just over 3 years ago, it had an APS-C 28MP BSI CMOS sensor (which I believe was the largest in production at the time), phase and contrast detect AF covering nearly the entire area with the majority of central points being cross type. It also had excellent DR, -4 EV, 15fps, 4K video with advanced codecs, and high resolution display screens and EVF. Outstanding for the time. I am sure Canon would love to get it's hands on Samsung's AMOLED display technology developed in the meantime.

I seriously hope Canon has been on the phone, or better yet organised a tea ceremony with Samsung, and has been working on an NX-1 derived sensor over the last 12 months for the 7D MkIII ......

You are right in your recollection of Japanese industrial and financial conglomerates and their Zaibatsu based structures of Kieretsu. Since WW2, but particularly through the 1970's and 80's this was also subject to the long term strategic direction input of MITI (the Japanese Ministry of International Trade and Industry). Significant progress was made with Japanese industries at the time, though that has changed this millenium with financial crises, deflationary environments and stagnating GDP growth, deregulation, and globalisation forces. More individual freedoms are evident these days.

It's interesting that despite this, the automotive industry in particular eventually succumbed to European 'luxury' competition, largely as a result of freer regulations (a 600hp luxury sedan is nothing these days - whereas the Japanese were limited to a self imposed 276hp limit for a long time) , core competitive advantages in style and aesthetics, and more innovative product life cycles ..... while bland bean counter induced 'style' and a mish mash of Japanese quirkyness and relatively garish American design studio subsidiary's input hamstrung some of the Japanese car giants.

As far as any type of Canon-Samsung teaming goes - There was cultural friction with Korea as a result of wars - particularly around the shameful 'comfort women' saga, though appropriate recognition, contrition and reparations have largely healed old wounds. Depending on the exact structure of Canon financial ownership I see no reason why any form of cooperation could not ensue - partnership, strategic alliance, JV, or even a take over of Canon .....

Rumours and reports around this are very quiet - given the very strong branding and marketing equity of both companies, I would expect it to be more of a back end tie up with both brand names continuing into the future as distinct entities.

Hi Chosun,

Agree with you entirely on the NX-1, a masterpiece, years ahead of its competitors. See Andrew Reid's blog, which has an NX-1 forum and updates: https://www.eoshd.com/2017/11/update-nx-l-speed-booster-samsung-nx1/#more-18796

There is an active user group that has managed to reverse engineer enough of the NX-1 software to unlock more of the camera's inherent capabilities.
It remains a top tier performer with a sensor that is still unmatched even today. Adapters that allow Canon glass to be used with the NX-1 are now available based on these efforts.

Re Korea/Japan cooperation, as you say there is a lot of history to digest, much more than the 'comfort women', although that probably summarizes the issues.
Political backing would probably be essential, perhaps the two countries will recognize that they either hang together or the Chinese will hang them separately. I've not seen much evidence however of such a rapprochement, so the prerequisites for a Canon/Samsung partnership seem lacking.
Hopefully Canon will prove me wrong on this.

Last edited:
Canon rumours has released a scant rumour with the merest of detail: http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-7d-mark-iii-to-have-slight-crop-in-4k-cr2/

It seems the 7DIII is to have 4K/30fps video at a 'slight' crop, they've previously speculated 1.4x, and 1080p at only 60fps. So -- a pretty much completely uninspiring video spec that matches the competition ..... of a few years ago ....

Though, there are also rumours of a more video orientated mirrorless line from Canon too (probably to compete with the Panasonic GH5 etc), so maybe what they've saved on video for the 7DIII they can use to blow us away with stills capability ....

Canon rumours has released a scant rumour with the merest of detail: http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-7d-mark-iii-to-have-slight-crop-in-4k-cr2/

It seems the 7DIII is to have 4K/30fps video at a 'slight' crop, they've previously speculated 1.4x, and 1080p at only 60fps. So -- a pretty much completely uninspiring video spec that matches the competition ..... of a few years ago ....

Though, there are also rumours of a more video orientated mirrorless line from Canon too (probably to compete with the Panasonic GH5 etc), so maybe what they've saved on video for the 7DIII they can use to blow us away with stills capability ....

4k/30p,
With a bit of luck it will be in color,
only Leica would get away with that in the year of 2018...
o:D

I sure hope Canon is working on a killer 7D Mk !!!

With strong rumours of the new Nikon FF Mirrorless due this year having a new 16mm FFD 'Z' mount, there is the enticing prospect of some enterprising lot coming up with a Canon EF -> Nikon Z adapter and adapter/combo TC ..... enabling the delicious new 600mm f4 DO to find a worthy home - one way or another! :)

I sure hope Canon is working on a killer 7D Mk !!!

With strong rumours of the new Nikon FF Mirrorless due this year having a new 16mm FFD 'Z' mount, there is the enticing prospect of some enterprising lot coming up with a Canon EF -> Nikon Z adapter and adapter/combo TC ..... enabling the delicious new 600mm f4 DO to find a worthy home - one way or another! :)

I'd think a new mount would be an unwarranted risk.
The bread and butter of Nikon is their large stable of excellent lenses. Putting their limited resources into an incompatible new line would be telling their customers that they now can look elsewhere, as these customers will have to rebuild their lens inventories for the new 16mm Z mount. At a minimum, offer an adapter that makes the Z mount lenses compatible with the existing Nikon bodies, so the Zs can be slipstreamed into the family.

I'd think a new mount would be an unwarranted risk.
The bread and butter of Nikon is their large stable of excellent lenses. Putting their limited resources into an incompatible new line would be telling their customers that they now can look elsewhere, as these customers will have to rebuild their lens inventories for the new 16mm Z mount. At a minimum, offer an adapter that makes the Z mount lenses compatible with the existing Nikon bodies, so the Zs can be slipstreamed into the family.
Nikon certainly can't afford to leave customers with a collection of 'F' mount lenses behind, as I doubt they will have anywhere near a full set of native mirrorless lenses ready at launch - so existing customers will provide a large chunk of the glass .....

Equally, they can't afford to hobble the new mirrorless system with an outdated 'F' mount. I fully expect the new mirrorless cameras to have the rumored 'Z' mount with its 16mm FFD to take full advantage of the size benefits of mirrorless.

Thus a fully functioning adapter (basically a ~30mm tube converting 'F' mount input to 'Z' mount output) will be essential at launch. I think they would be crazy to try and keep compatibility with motorless lenses ..... time to leave those behind, leave the focus motors out of the mirrorless bodies and concentrate on leading IBIS (which would need to be ~6 stops with the most capable lenses).

The question to my mind is will Nikon provide this gratis? or will they charge for it? :cat:

I would also like to see them do combination TC/adapters -- you could have a 1.4xTC F/Z adapter which would be about the size of a normal 'F' mount 2x TC, yet only about the weight of a 1.4xTC. I hope they do 1.7x, and 2x,TC F/Z adapters as well.

The really exciting opportunity is for Third Party's to offer a Canon EF to Nikon (mirrorless ) 'Z' mount adapter. I don't hold great hopes of Nikon making a 600mm f4 PF anytime soon to compete with Canon's imminent 600mm f4 DO. So to be able to put one of those on a new Nikon mirrorless body would be sensational - especially if via a combination TC too.

The Canon 7D Mk!!! is on notice - it had better produce the goods .... or else! :gn:

Etud,

It is interesting since we have the "Ashes" Cricket series between Australia and England on at the moment. Normally for any major sporting events it is just a sea of "big white" lenses from the pro photographers. However, when watching the other day all I could see were the big black super telephotos of Nikon gear - not one white setup amongst them. Interesting since the top Canon body that they would've been using - the 1DX MkII is actually very competitive sensor wise. The 7D MkII on the other hand is comparatively woeful.

I was at the Liverpool vs Man City soccer game last night and noticed that Canon lenses outnumbered Nikon 4-1 amongst the pro togs( which was also what the final score could have been but hey,ho)
Not a mirrorless camera in sight.

Waiting for the future to happen is something I am not doing either, I'm more interested in the now!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back